AR-15 vs MINI-14

Probaly the ar 15

I think it says something that the only military force to take the Mini-14 are the Bermuda Regiment, quite the most comic-opera military force it has ever been my misfortune to meet. And they only bought it because Ruger promised to put the Bermuda crest on the stock!

The M-16A2 is a far more accurate weapon. The Mini-14/AC556 was just an afterthought. Certainly, the AC556 is a good rifle, that may even be a little more reliable in some ways. It was never adopted by any country other than the fearsome Bermudians because the weapon looks archaic with a mostly wood stock and it lacks some refinement. The weapon is used by the New York City Police response teams though, along with the M-4. And they’re quite happy with it I guess…

A version of the Mini14 was also used by the A-Team. :slight_smile:

But the current incarnations of the M-16 have met with some criticism. The M-16A2 with three round burst clearly at a disadvantage to the AK when in close quarters combat in Iraq. The Pentagon really f***ed that up! They should have done what both the Navy SEALS and the Canadian Forces have done, and improved the M-16 and left in the full cyclic auto function (the SEALS use the M-16A3 and the Canucks have an indigenously produced version called the C-7).

And apparently the M-4 can jam and overheat more often than most other assault carbines which almost led to its replacement in the US special ops forces with a Belgian FAL 5.56mm carbine, which was cancelled for political reasons…

And

This topic is about the Civilian AR15 and the Civilian Ruger Mini 14 why was it moved to military? Please lets stay on topic and discuss the two weapons mentioned, maybe someone else would like to start a new thread on the military versions of these two.

Would you like a box of Kleenex?

MAYBE IN YOUR WORLD AN AR15 AND MINI 14 IS MILITARY BUT IN THE REAL WORLD THEY ARE CIVILIAN.BUT YOU BEING AN E.O.E. YOU SEEM TO THINK YOU KNOW ALL…

…Im just trying to keep my thread on topic…and you being a good mod Im sure you understand that…RIGHT? dont be mad because the other thread your getting hammered… :slight_smile:

edited…now is that anyway for a mod to act? Kleenex…I use handkerchiefs

Hi Mike,

I have owned both the AR-15 and the Mini-14. Bought both in the early 1980’s. My personal preference was the Mini-14 as it was more reliable. I sold the AR-15 in 1986. Unlike later AR-15’s it did not have the forward bolt assist.

Hi George,
I bought my Mini 14GB from a local gun shop, it was an ex prison rifle, when they upgraded to AR’s they sold them to the public for a couple month’s before there was a public outcry from the anti gunners. Glad I got it when I did.

Cute pics Mike :wink:

It’s a shame that there is so much anti-gun sentiment in California. It’s not such a problem here in Florida.

The AR-15 that I had was light and fun to shoot, but did not have the reliability of my Mini-14. As I mentioned previously, my earlier model AR-15 did not have a forward bolt assist. Also, I seem to recall that the Mini-14 had a shorter and slightly louder bark than the AR-15. Below are pics of my Mini-14 and the AR-15 that I sold in 1986.

Top is my Ruger Mini-14 (customized with folding buttstock, bipod, etc.) with extra 30-round clips. Bottom is my Ithaca Model 37 slide action 12 gauge riot gun. At right is my Smith & Wesson Model 1955 revolver (.45 ACP) with Model 1917 walnut grips and two half-moon clips of .45 ACP rounds.

Colt AR-15 which I sold about 1986. This earlier model of AR-15 did not come with a forward bolt assist.

Great looking pics George. One of these days I’ve got to get me a riot gun…talk about a home defense weapon. If I had to chose one weapon for home defense…I think I would pick a riot shotgun
The only Mini 14 I have owned and shot is the one in the pic and it was used when bought, I’ve been thinking about getting another one factory fresh and see if there is much difference.
Have you ever done the shoe string trick? Not that I have…:wink:

Thanks Mike,

An interesting feature of the Ithaca Model 37 slide action 12 gauge riot gun is that it has a potentially higher rate of fire than a semi-automatic. If you hold the trigger back without letting go, then the weapon will fire as fast as you can pump the slide. Providing that you can hold on, it sounds almost like a pom-pom gun (Bofors 40mm anti-aircraft gun).

With the Mini-14 some of the cheaper 30-round magazines can cause feeding problems. Mine are better quality and have not caused any problems.

Before I sold the AR-15, I did experiment with some customizing which I would rather not discuss…:wink:

Not sure about the shoe string trick? Maybe you can send a PM.

Go to google and type in bump fire…I think i can be done with most semi autos…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-nUA52BS3c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBQrtzSdVDo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N47yzH0e2n0

Cool, I’ve never tried that before.

Nice clips on bump firing the AR-15, M-1 and Mini-14.

Let’s just say that I got the same effect with my old AR-15 with the added advantage of being able to fire from the shoulder :wink:

So ugly Mike. I didn’t know you were so sensitive and had such a “Joan of Arc” martyrdom complex…

Well Joanie, you see, AR-15s and M-14s are weapons related to actual standard issue GI fare (i.e. the M-16/M-16A1/M-16A2/M-16A3/M-16A4 and a basically recalibrated M-14).

BTW, I even posted in your thread thoughtfully; so stop acting like you’re being persecuted…

Oh and BTW, how is complaining about procedural stuff keeping your “thread on topic?”

edited…now is that anyway for a mod to act? Kleenex…I use handkerchiefs

Well, at least you cry into recyclable material. I guess Al Gore rubbed off on you.:slight_smile:

You are sounding like a bitter man Nickey, you dont do well with people who have a difference of opinion do you?

No, I don’t do well with bitter people with an ax to grind that trump up imaginary issues…

If I really had this problem, I would have deleted the thread or sent it to the mod room.

And Mike, I’ve been very patient with you, other mods here would have banned you for trolling when arguing them by now…

okay…AR-15 are very close except the M-16’s having a selector switch

But we weren’t just talking about the “AR-15” as any discussion devolves into the M-16 and of Eugene Stoner’s development of it as a counter to the Soviet AK…

BUT comeon its a smaller version but the M-14 and the Ruger mini 14 are two seperate animals hoss, the M-14 shoots 7.62 x 51mm NATO ( .308 cal) and the mini shoots a 5.56 x 45mm (.223 cal) a round much less powerful than the 7.62 and the M-14 is about twice the size of a Mini 14…but im sure you know that already…

Thank you Mr. Obvious! I guess that why I could never get the .308 rounds into my magazines! :rolleyes:

But the action is identical to the M-14s/M-1s and the weapon is smaller, but looks like a resized M-14, hence the “mini” designation…

edited to add: I even put a special Hi note to you Nickey in the pic and you still get all pissey,what up wit dat?

Actually, you phrased your complaint rather rudely…as it is much ado about nothing…

P.S.: I also placed this thread here because there are several other firearms threads in it.

It might not be a bad thing to create a separate forum for general post-WWII firearms discussion?

What is worth looking at is what is used in high-level IPSC competitions. It’s all tricked-up AR 15s, pretty much. The issue with the mini 14 is severalfold, as I see it: it’s a very complex design, it really isn’t accurate at all unless you put a heavy barrel on it (leading to the weight penalty), and it muzzle-flips quite significantly.

I’m currently waiting out until I can get me a gas piston AR 15, and then the pimping will begin…

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=tyHMUVA3sDA

A graphic video showing the impact of the .50 cal in action in Afghanistan I believe…

So you’re going to put bling on your AR-15? :slight_smile: