Archive - Flying WW2 Aircraft

I’d like to know what you guys feel about flying one of a kind aircraft. The CAF has flown and destroyed many “last one surviving” kind of planes. My own inclination is to ground the rare ones. Fly them maybe once a year at Oshkosh or some such large gathering… but don’t press your luck and tour with them year round. If we keep loosing planes like we have been, nothing will be left for the future generations expect the plethora of T-6’s and P-51’s.

Not true I agree that it would be nice to see these Aircraft but when you see them just sat in museums it’s not the same.

Perhaps for one off rare types but definitely not where there are several examples, Besides most are rebuilt to flying condition and don’t necessarily contain much of the original aircraft.

I am looking forward to seeing the Bristol Beaufighter fly again when it is restored and it will be one of a kind.

Seeing them in a museum is better than not seeing them at all

I think such planes should be reproduced and the reproductions flown instead. Such planes should be kept in pristine condition in museums for future generations. One accident, and it’s gone forever. It’s not worth the risk.

There is a fellow that used to live not far from me that owned a Corsair and flew it around occasionally. It was an awesome thing to see. He would fly it for special community events to put on a show.

I don’t know about your countries laws but over here if you restore an Aircraft then that is fine but to manufacture from scratch requires all the type approvals etc.etc. and would cost far too much.

Besides as I said before there is very little of the original plane left once it has been restored to flying condition.