Archive - GOOD LORD-The P. 1000 "Ratte" Land Cruis

I would not want to see this tank coming down the road (hell both lanes of the autobahn) at me!!! :shock: :?:

http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=1636

http://www.panzerschreck.de/panzer/pzkpfw/p1000.html

This thing is so big it’s retarded. Good thing they never actually made it.

even the tank would be produced and put into front line, i dont think it would have much use for the army though, first of all, the tank is so big, so the engine must be eating a lot of oil and therefore cutting travel range a lot. The tank itself is not fast so mobility is very low. Plus the cannon itself is strong, but it might take a long time to reload (for example, korean 170mm tank took 5 mins before it can shoot again)

WOW :frowning:
Check this American Experimental tank, dont want to see it coming down the road either. :slight_smile: http://www.military.cz/panzer/index_en.htm

lol,it’s almost like a damn Warhammer 40000 tank!

Maybe they are trying to compensate for something :lol:

HAHA :smiley:

If i have to choose, i rather have JS-3 tank:P

Uh I think this thing can roll over your JS-3 :slight_smile:

Uh I think this thing can roll over your JS-3 :)[/quote]

thats for sure. Who would of ever thought of making such a big tank? What is its use in battle? Most likely it had a slow turning rate, and so a russian T-34 medium tank could probably take this thing out if it got behind it.

Acutally S.A.M. if you look at that second link you can see that it has a rear mounted gun. Assuming that you could angle it down far enough you could take out the T-34. Which would need at least 6 shots minium to take out all the tracks.

yeah, but in every 1 big giant tank you build, the russians are able to produce six T-34/85 in the same period, so acutally in battlefield, its not one on one, its about 5 to 1, haha 8)

Yea but im sure this thing could handle quite a few T-34’s and whatever else thrown at it. Of course its not completely unstoppable. But sure would cause alot of problems and would be fun to watch if your not on the receving end. :slight_smile:

Speaking about what was actually built by Germans pls check the Maus:
http://www.wwiivehicles.com/html/germany/tanks_heavy/maus.html
http://www.wwiivehicles.com/html/germany/tanks_heavy/maus_photos.html
One of them is displayed in Kubinka Tank Museum in Russia: http://www.tankmuseum.ru/p6.html (check N17 picture)

Ya thats true but how do you get that big thing in the battlefield? It would never operate in forests and swampy lakes etc. And it would take ages to get there. It might be usefull in N africa, if they made it before 1943.

I think it would be more of a moveable bunker more than a tank. I cant really see this thing being very pracitcal.

Don’t worry kids, nobody was going to produce such a thing, it was only a playing with ideas. Most of all, if one had a idea how (possibly) to win the war, you couldn’t (possibly) being orded to the eastern front…
There had been a lot of “good ideas” !! :idea:
Servus

Actually they did produce part of it. The Turret. But it ended up as a coastal defense battery in Norway i believe.

Even the ‘little’ Maus couldn’t use any bridge, so it was going to be modified with a schnorkel system for fording rivers. Neither tank was useful for offensive operations due to their poor speed. They would be useful for defending fixed points like cities, river crossings or narrow passes, or even better in a large cave overlooking the Normandy beaches. For the Ratte to function in this capacity, however, the enemy must not have air superiority. While it’s possible to camouflage the Maus, the Ratte is just impossible. What a target!
As far as a direct confrontation with JS-3 tanks, the Ratte was equipped with heavy cruiser armor plate all-round, about 9" thick. The JS-3’s could shoot at it all day, and not make a dent. I suppose the Ratte would have a tough time hitting the JS-3’s, because of it’s slow rate of fire.
Imagine this, however: It is Berlin, April 29, 1945. The Red Army is approaching the center of the city. They have just turned onto the Siegesalle ( The Avenue Of Victories ), and are setting up their howitzers to blast through the barricades in front of the Brandenburg Gate. Suddenly the ground begins to tremble. Six blocks distant a black shape three stories high turns the corner. The howitzers open fire, but their 152mm shells glance off the monster. Then the twin 11" guns roar, and the howitzers disappear in flame…
In reality, though, the Lancasters would blast it in short order. One ‘Tallboy’ bomb would do the trick. Can’t hide this baby inside any
building. The Maus is much better for streetfighting; with a 128mm main cannon and a 75mm secondary cannon, it can keep up a reasonable rate of fire. It can crawl through the wall of a large building to hide from aircraft, or can mow down an entire block of buildings holding the enemy.
Imagine the Maus additionally equipped with a flamethrower… :shock:

Even the ‘little’ Maus couldn’t use any bridge, so it was going to be modified with a schnorkel system for fording rivers. Neither tank was useful for offensive operations due to their poor speed. They would be useful for defending fixed points like cities, river crossings or narrow passes, or even better in a large cave overlooking the Normandy beaches. For the Ratte to function in this capacity, however, the enemy must not have air superiority. While it’s possible to camouflage the Maus, the Ratte is just impossible. What a target!
As far as a direct confrontation with JS-3 tanks, the Ratte was equipped with heavy cruiser armor plate all-round, about 9" thick. The JS-3’s could shoot at it all day, and not make a dent. I suppose the Ratte would have a tough time hitting the JS-3’s, because of it’s slow rate of fire.
Imagine this, however: It is Berlin, April 29, 1945. The Red Army is approaching the center of the city. They have just turned onto the Siegesalle ( The Avenue Of Victories ), and are setting up their howitzers to blast through the barricades in front of the Brandenburg Gate. Suddenly the ground begins to tremble. Six blocks distant a black shape three stories high turns the corner. The howitzers open fire, but their 152mm shells glance off the monster. Then the twin 11" guns roar, and the howitzers disappear in flame…
In reality, though, the Lancasters would blast it in short order. One ‘Tallboy’ bomb would do the trick. Can’t hide this baby inside any
building. The Maus is much better for streetfighting; with a 128mm main cannon and a 75mm secondary cannon, it can keep up a reasonable rate of fire. It can crawl through the wall of a large building to hide from aircraft, or can mow down an entire block of buildings holding the enemy.
Imagine the Maus additionally equipped with a flamethrower… :shock:[/quote]
so the monster didnt really have much sucess on killing soviet tanks?

Imagine the Maus additionally equipped with a flamethrower… :shock:[/quote]
so the monster didnt really have much sucess on killing soviet tanks?[/quote]
Which monster? The Ratte probably couldn’t hit any moving vehicles that were trying to avoid it; it would take a couple of minutes to load those 11" shells. The Maus would do very well in theory, because it had very good
all-round armour. The Maus never saw combat-there were only two examples built by April of '45, and they never left the proving grounds at Kummersdorf. One was blown up by it’s owners, and the other was captured intact by the Red Army.