Archive - X-series missiles questions

i know the german has attempt to build different models of X-series missiles, and those are the ones i learn from other websites or book
X-7 anti tank missiles (many future anti tank weapon has been built base on that)
X-4 air to air missiles, equipped on FW-190D or Me 262 to take down bombers
X-4 air to ship missiles, equipped on HE 293 (pilots have a joystick on the bombers to control the missiles and glided it into the target with 290mph, enough to break through ship armour)

the question i wanna ask is the Allies have captured one of the radio receiver from captured HE293, therefore, the allies is able to jam the radio signal being send from the bombers to the missiles(that greatly reduce the effectiveness of the missiles on D-day), however, the germans have approached an alternative to make sure the radio signal wouldnt be jam again, what did they do?

another questions are i know the X-4 missiles would rotate that 60RPM, do you know what cause the rotation and whats that intented for? thanks

Don’t think the Kramer X4 (RK 344) ATA missile was ever used on an Me-262, from what I know it was used on Fw-190, Ju-88G, and Ju-388L. It was never used in an operational squadron.

I don’t know about the questions you are asking though, sorry.

“i know the X-4 missiles would rotate that 60RPM, do you know what cause the rotation and whats that intented for? thanks”

I don’t know, but I’m scared to know why you want to know! :smiley:

just curious :wink:
thats why i join this forum, its my interest on world war 2 weapon and war strategy (especially on the axis side, simply their weapons are very unique), anyone who knows something about this please help me out, thanks

just curious :wink:
thats why i join this forum, its my interest on world war 2 weapon and war strategy (especially on the axis side, simply their weapons are very unique), anyone who knows something about this please help me out, thanks[/quote]
no body knows anything about it?

Doesnt look like it. lol :smiley:

I don’t think missles played much of a part in the invasion. I mean, the Allies fiored many many rockets, many of which went grossly off-target. But overall, the rockets were not anything which made much of a difference. They turned oput to be a dissapoinment. As for German rockets at normandy, I’ve never even heard of any being used in all of the documentaries i’ve sen and everything I’ve read, I cannot recall any use of rockets by the Germans on the beaches. Appearently, those did not play much of a role in those battles either.

o,i read a magazine about rockets/missiles used in world war 2, the german did manage to sink or damage some military ship with it
http://www.ww2guide.com/missiles.shtml#x4
this is a link more about german missiles, enjoy

Yes, but rockets did not play much of a role in the invasion of Normandy, or the entire war, as I said. However, “fire-and-forget” rockets were used to occasionally on open battlefields. The only really noteworthy use of rockets was the Nazi use of lage ones to bomb London, and even that was not very effective. It was only intended to break the morale of the british people, which Hitler did not realize was impossible.

A quote form the site you posted a link to:

“Large scale production commenced with some 1,300 missiles built by January of 1945. In February 1945 the allies bombed BMW’s Stargard factory where the production motors were being built, destroying all except 250 experimental motors in other factories. The program was cancelled as a result.”

Tinboy, maybe you mean guided rockets/missiles did not play much of a role and as for “fire and forget rockets” only being used occasionally well look a bit more closely at the weapons used especially on the Eastern front Katyusha or Nebelwerfer mean anything to you?

The guided weapons were mainly for an anti-shipping role anyway. IIRC they nearly sank Warspite and Savannah off the Salerno beachead (might have been Anzio) and somewhat hampered the Allied use of NGFS.

As for the earlier question of why spin missiles, it’s the same reason you spin rifle bullets - the gyroscope effect keeps them pointing in the same direction and makes them more stable. Quite why you’d want to spin a guided missile though is unclear - spinning them would make it harder to guide them properly!