Arthur James Williams

I am attempting to attach a photo of Art leaning up against a large rock somewhere in Europe during WWII. I would like ot know the significance of the rock if possible.

I’m also looking for information or to contact anyone who has served with Arthur James Williams, Ptr. inlisted June 3, 1943 and transfered to the DCLI July 15, 1943 unit 64, then transfered to the KOYLI Unit 5 on Nov. 14, 1946. Released from service Oct. 3, 1947.

I am attempting to complete a bibliography of his life and would love to communicate with someone who knew of his activities during the years 1943 and 1947

Regards

Daryl Ashby

The inscription is very hard to read. Of course it’s german and the top word says “Breloh”, in the second row I can read the word “Raubkammer”, below that “…bei Munster” (near Munster) and in the lowest row “1936”. “Munster” is a small town in Northern Germany, to some this place may be known because of the most important german tank museum
I did some research on the net and found out that the “Gasplatz Breloh” (gas site) was a testing ground near Munster for chemical agent in WW1. The site was destroyed due to an explosion of a freight train with ammo in October 1919.
In 1935 the Wehrmacht established the “Heeresversuchsstelle Raubkammer” (test site of the Army) on this very spot, again for chemical warfare. After the war the site was blown up by British forces which caused a contamination of the area.

Hello

Can I call you Flame for short?

That is a great start to unravelling the mystery. Many thanks.

Do you have any idea what the Duke of Cornwall Light Infrantry might have
been doing in that area?

I’ve got a number of photos of Art throughout Europe during the war and would love to unravel his involvement in each.

Many thanks again.

Daryl

Flame’s just fine.:wink:

Well, the site was shut down by the Wehrmacht in March 1945 due to the heavy air raids. The British took the place over without a struggle in April 1945.
When the war had ended British occupational forces established the biggest release camp for POW’s on german soil there (about 1.7 million german POW’s were discharged from this camp). It could be possible that the Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infrantry served as guard forces there once the war was over.
However there should be experts on British military around here to give more detailed answers regarding this particular unit.

Morning Flame:

I never stopped to look in the top right corner to see where you called home. Knowing that you are on German soil lends a huge amount of credibility and accessibility to what you say. I have thought of the formal military research teams but fear the cost associated without knowing the benefit in advance. Poor attitude but the only one I have.

You have been very helpful so far. Did you have a look at the other photo to see if it meant anything to you?

Daryl

You’re welcome, Daryl!
You didn’t post another photo so far, I’m afraid.

Howdy Flame:

I’ve just tried again. Please let me know if I fail again.

Best of the Season to you by the way. We got a dump
of 8 inches of snow last night so we’re not going anywhere
unless we have no choice.

Daryl

Sorry, could not gather any info on the second photo.
A statue like this is much too common to trace.:frowning: