Artillery shell in tree trunk

I was nosing around Hohenfels training area in Germany on Google Earth, and found this image of a shell stuck in a tree. There were large impact areas there, and we did go through them on occasion to clean up. We usually placed little flags at the locations of unexploded, or broken up ordnance, so the EOD people could gather them up once they were marked. I never saw this one tho, just too cool. - Raspenau -

hohenfels-artillery-piece-tree.jpg

Wow that is very odd and cool.

Thats is stubborn tree :). any idea of the caliber ?

My best guess would be between 75, and 105 mm. it may well be from the 40’s, but no way to tell from the pic. Its like down south here, at the civil war battle fields when people dig up bullets that have collided mid-air, and stuck together. one in a million,

Dr. Frankenstien graffs another aboration of nature!

Seen similar, although not often, and never a whole shell!!!

Highly likely to be a richochet.

the area is littered with stuff of all kinds, from the war, and since.The area was taken by the allies for a training area, so no repairs were ever made to anything, villages, damaged by fighting where (and are) just as they were in the 40’s .Demolition is used only when a structure becomes too unsafe to leave standing. These villages provide some realism to the exercises, and are very eerie to move through. like an episode of the “Twilight Zone” modern M-60’s move though a training area to find the Wehrmacht waiting, (sounds good, where is my popcorn,) :slight_smile: