At Traves/France, summer of 1976 - Modern/Post-War Photos | Gallery

At Traves/France, summer of 1976

At the French town of Traves/France, June 22, 1976. Paintings on the road express the animosity towards one of the town's inhabitants recently moved to the area: former SS-Standartenführer Jochen Peiper. Three weeks after this photo was taken Peiper was murdered by assumed French ex-Resistance members or leftist terrorists.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://ww2incolor.com/gallery/modern/28593/at-travesfrance-summer-of-1976

Actually France had been his dreamland ever since (he spoke French fluently and acted as an interpreter after the war). He seriously hoped to find peace there after the pressure by the publicity in Germany became too much for him.

That’s true, it was not a good choice of Peiper. But personally, I have no grain of respect for the resistance. The assassination of Peiper was a pathetic act of cowardice, and I’ve heard of several things like this.

killing Peiper was unnecesary,he was in prison many years before the partisans killed.Anyway I think not the right choice to stay in France after the war for a ex SS member