Attack on HMS Argonaut.

Very nice, if it is your collection – congratulations.

Do you know which one of these decorations was awarded Argentinian national hero of the Falklands War TT de Navio Owen Guillermo Crippa, a pilot of MB-339 light attack aircraft?

Best regards :smiley:

Greg

Hi Gregory,
You should ask Panzerknacker since Erwin (errr… Sturmtruppen :wink: ) is a retired member.

As far as I know Crippa received the congresional Medal of bravery in combat, the other I going to investigate about.

Panzerknacker

Thank you very much. English-language literature has always described this medal as the highest Argentinian decoration, something like the Argentinian counterpart of the US CMH or British VC.

Thanks, best regards :smiley:

Greg

Well, the Naval merit Medal is more an award for the long career seamen, although it can be awarded for combat merits.

Crippa as mostly of the veterans received this…“El congreso de la Nacion a los combatientes” , but is more like a campaing badge because it was awarded for participate in the war only and does not take account the war actions.

medallar.jpg

A nice painting of the attack performed by G.O Crippa.

ANy info on the picture of Crippas attack?

I think that is the Narwhal in the back ground (a civialian stuft vessel).

Is HMS Ardent or Argonaught being brassed up?

According to Jesus Romero Briasco and Salvador Mafe Huertas he attacked HMS Argonaut.

Best regards

Greg

Hi All,

I read with interest your info regarding the attachk on HMS Argonaut.

I was Heavily involved in this attack in being on the flightdeck of the ship at the time.

The MB339 came out of the sun and fired Rockets and followed through with a short burst of cannon, these went through the 965 radar and ran accross the hangar roof (I heard the rounds strike as we ran inside.

I have attached a picture of the Ships Flightdeck Crew, this was taken very shortly before the launch of the Lynx moments before the 1st attack.

For those Interested I am the one with the orange mug on my waist in the middle of the picture

AT_Flightdeck01.jpg

Very nice image Timcourt and welcome to our forum.

By the way, what the people in the left are looking for ? :slight_smile:

the machine hampster jumped and Hiccupped.

Borders, must be as that’s the only thing the SMG would be useful for.:smiley:

The guys on the left are the same as the rest of us, “Jumpy” towards the end of out time there we are even getting excited seeing seagulls oftem mistaking them for distant aircraft - You get like that sometimes.

Memory fades with time but I believe it was the sound of distant gunfire starting which caused them to look

One thing after these 25 Years that I don’t think people have mentioned, and we talked of often back then when we returned, was the healthy respect we had of the Argentine pilots and their skills, we were amazed at how well they flew the A4’s especially.

The SMG was carried by Aircrew in case of Emergency

Thanks for your answer.

The Sterling against aircraft… probably have a psichlogical value.

Yes it does, one other point on the Crippa attack, the aircraft came from the Port(Left side) and above the height of the ship from out of the sun as I recall, Had the attack taken place as depicted in the 2 paintings that are available, I would no doubt not be here to tell the tale, the attack was so fast that we actually thought one of our missiles had fired by accident!

I was stood in front of the Hangar at the time about 1/4 the way out on the flight deck with one of the other mechanics - it was close enough for me.

I notice you are in Argentina, were you in the Argentine Military?

I am not involved with the Military, Just a civilian aficionado, My daily job is with machine tools.

By the way I have some images of the aircraft who attacked your ship, ill post later.

WRT the sterling, I beleive many of the helicopters were armed with such weapons in the war. In lieu of a machine gun. I can’t see them being too effective though!!!

More images of the Aermacchi nº 115 of the Navy 1th Escuadrilla flown by G.Owen Crippa.

Detail on the armament, 2 containers with 2 Defa 553 30mm cannons and 8 Zuni 127mm (5") rockets.

HMS Argonaut claimed as damaged.

Thanks for posting the images, I did see some info a while back about the Aircraft being sold but not sure about that.

I spotted this post by chance and have not spoken about our antics in the falklands that much, I am currently in the process of getting information together to post more Images online and some Narrative, All of these pictures have not been posted before. nice to see the Argonaut mentioned since she often gets left out in the mainstream media.

Images shows Argonaut on May 21 before the Attack, this was taken from the Canberra I believe

Is there any more Information on Owen Crippa? I have had a look online but wondered if there was more Information elsewhere.

Tim c

Image1.jpg

Your images will be very welcomed Tim.

The only I ve found about Crippa is the he lives today in Sunchales, Santa Fe province.

He seems to be very active in defense of the right /benefits of the veterans seamen due some harsh letters to the Goverment representatives of him that I ve read.

I still working to find a portrait.

http://www.maritimeprints.com/portfolio/?mp=123