Australian Infantry

The Australian Infantry of WWII barely got noticed. But hey we are the land down under!

My all those that fell during the war rest in peace.

Try looking in some books, you’ll find hundreds of thousands of pages written about the deeds of the Diggers.

Since when has the entire Infantry Corps been descried as a ‘unit’ ?
The poll’s question is couched in the present tense - do you mean it to read as such ?

Sorry. Basic human error. We all do it soem time within our lives. i’ll fix it.

At the present moment I would have to say the US armed forces are the best because of experience. However this changes very quickly with time. Not knocking the Austrailian inf. They are great and always been good reliable allies. Just my opinion

Second best maybe my friend - man for man, I’d put the British over anyone.

I think as far as a WWII unit, the 1st American Infantry Division was the best because of their range of experience. The Big Red One saw service in North Africa, Sicily, Czechoslovakia, the Ardennes, Germany, Normandy, and other areas. The division suffered around 23,000 losses and had 5 MoA Recipients.

I edited the title of the poll so it could be read a little more clearly, since we are talking about Aussie Infantry in WWII.

I certainly do not think that there were any allied units or russian units that could be counted as the “best” in the ww2.

The german forces possessed the most highly trained and experienced soldiers of the war. Nobody had more combat experience then the German wermarct.

[edited for unknown oddity]

Second best maybe my friend - man for man, I’d put the British over anyone.[/quote]

K man for man we still have more people. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It all depends on what you term as units.

I would say that the US Rangers were a cracking unit and the equal of any Axis formation of the same size.

Again I would say that the Ox and Bucks of Pegasus bridge fame, were the equal of any German Para unit. Thier guys trained for 2-3 years for their jobs.

Although I agree that as a rule the German Infantry was good and some of their Divisions were top drawer units.

I’m not as familiar with any Soviet units, but they must have had some excellent formations by the end of the war.

Sorry. If you waqnt the topic thingy changed give me some suggestions.

Although i classified the Aussie Inf. as a unit. I was sort of trying to say like that fellow said above " The British over anyone" or something along those lines but i was saying " Is the Australian Infantry qualifiy to be one of the best Infantry divisions in thw world. Can some one make a top ten inf. list of thw world.

I’m not sure how you could make such a list, and any question of “who’s the best unit” is bound to be highly subjective anyway.

Obviously, you’d have to discount Royal Artillery OP parties from the equation as they are the World’s best infantry (and any other type of) soldier and it’s not fair to compare lesser mortals to those Gods of the battlefield :smiley:

I’m not sure how the German infantry could be ranked as “best” when they keep losing.

Perhaps the country with the best infantry is the one who have the longest record of not losing a war vs number of wars fought?

keep losing? The german forces won many offensive battles between 1939-1943. In 1944-1945 they won many defensive victories.

They just lost the war in then end due to viture of superior enemy numbers and material.

Yeah agree. About the poll, the results are now obvious. I think that the best “units” were German + British. Russians were victorius because of number of soldiers. U.S forces before entering war in 1941 weren’t that great either.

I’m sorry, despite personal preferences you have to admit the Germans were flawed. And the main flaw was Der Adolph!

Sure they developed good weapons and tactics, but they never had a chance. The average US, Brit, Russian and Polish troops fought a good fight.

Sure the Landser were well trained, but when they finally met the enemy that never gave up in the Soviet infantry, especially Stalingrad, they were shown to be just normal men in un-normal circumstances.

Dont get the idea that they were super-soldiers, they were just like you and me. When all the other countries caught up with them, the writing was on the wall.

Ok i sent a message to a moderator so he could delete the poll. i did this a couple of days ago. if any moderators for this forum can delete please do it…

Poll deleted as requested here.

keep losing? The german forces won many offensive battles between 1939-1943. In 1944-1945 they won many defensive victories.

They just lost the war in then end due to viture of superior enemy numbers and material.

That’ll be a loss then.

The second time they had lost a war that century (you might have thought that Adolf would have remembered the valuable lessons he should have learnt in WW1. Fight the Brits, Russians, French and US all at the same time, and expect you will lose), although they did manage quite well in the 1870’s against the French, and we must thank the Prussians for their invaluable aid defeating Napoleon in 1815 .

War isn’t just about winning some battles. It’s a marathon, not a sprint.

I’m not being rude about the Germans here, or the Americans, or even the French, but I was more hoping to make the point that to ask who is the best infantry is an impossible question, as recognised by the removal of the poll.

However, my money would be on the Ghurkas :smiley:

Who are the Ghurkas??? Or have you made that up.

Is this a Wah?