B-17 Hit by flak - US Army Air Force | Gallery

B-17 Hit by flak

"Hang the Expense III" 351st BS,100th BG Hit by flak over Frankfurt,the blast blew the tail gunner,Roy Urich,out of the plane. The rest of the crew learned later that Urich survived unhurt. Years later,other crews reported seeing him flying through the formation still sitting on the tail gunner's bicycle seat and holding the handles to his twin .50's.(rudeerude)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.ww2incolor.com/gallery/us-army-air-force/23637/b-17-hit-by-flak

Thanks a lot for all these pics, rudeerude :slight_smile: There is one thing that boggles my mind: how did Roy Urich (his name sounds really German, btw) manage to survive such a direct hit??? All my respects to him!

I’m his daughter. He had leaned forward just as the tail was shot off and knocked unconscious. He came to as he was falling and rolled out of the tail section and pulled his chute. He landed and some farmers saw him and tried to talk to him, but he was taken POW for 15 months. He died in 2016 at the age of 97, He was still going strong physically and mentally.