"B" Squadron, Lord Strathcona's Horse - Canadian Forces | Gallery

"B" Squadron, Lord Strathcona's Horse

Liberation party for "B" Squadron by the citizens of Ermolo, Holland, March 18, 1945. Interesting to note the positioning of the welded on tank tracks on the tank turret. It seems that the positioning of this added protection on Canadian tanks depended on the whim of the tank commander as they appear to be "tacked" on in various positions depending on the tank. Perhaps it depended on the initiative of the various crew members that would be sitting behind it ? Perhaps some of the website participants can shed some light on this for me ?

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.ww2incolor.com/gallery/canadian-forces/41599/%22b%22-squadron-lord-strathcona's-horse

Damn… positioned the dam picture sideways… perhaps admin can fix it !!

Positioning tracks as additional armor was quite common among what I saw every army during WW2. I guess, the positioning depended also on experiences, seeing where friendly tanks got penetrated or where a former tank of the crew (or the surviving crew members of a destroyed tank) was penetrated.

Patton banned his armoured units from fitting the add on armour and sandbagging that was common on other units Shermans at the time. It put alot of extra stress on the engines and running gear.
He changed his mind later on and authorised armour from destroyed German and US tanks to be welded to the front hulls.

Ask, and it shall be given…

The realisation that your armour was thinner than the opposing tanks and that you would be under fire well before you could fire back spured on the addition of any extra protection.Even to the extent of Churchill tanks sporting Sherman tracks from battlefield wrecks.It was a practice that resulted in upset turret balance and much slower traverse with all that extra weight and was discouraged at least in regiments of RTR using Churchills.