Band of Brothers

K not a movie but a series but still fits into this catagory. I think this is one of the best WW2 series of all time. And if you make it a 10hour movies its still great. One of the best hands down in my opinion.

I loved it, when it was over though I was like nooo. To bad it wasn’t longer would have been awsome.

Band of Brothers is like my fav. T.V. series of all time. After it was over I got kinda sad :frowning: No more Band of Brothers :frowning: . Anyway, I think it was a great series. :smiley:

Great series!
Made me a child again-watching the Combat series and all…

Combat is awsome. I am so glad they released it on DVD. Have you been getting the seasons? I think one more is left to be released.

yeah i agree it was a great series

Combat is awsome. I am so glad they released it on DVD. Have you been getting the seasons? I think one more is left to be released.[/quote]

Im afraid it hasn’t reach Greece yet

:frowning:

Band of Brothers is among my favorites on WW2 (Tora, Tora, Tora being another). Ambrose is a great author, hence allowed Spielberg and Hanks to make such a good mini-series. I highly recommend reading the actual book Band of Brothers, it’s a very easy reading (compared to some other authors Ambrose writes in very plain language) and it contains some scenes and descriptions that Spielberg and Hanks did not get into with the on-screen version of the story.

Curahee! is also a good book, my colleague at World War II Database wrote a review of the book here: http://ww2db.com/read.php?read_id=19. The book is written by Donald Burgett, a member of A company, 1st battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment. You should read it and remind yourself that there’s more to the 506 PIR than Dick Winters and his Easy Company! :slight_smile:

I think this was an excellent no-holds barred series, for reasons I wont bore you with I actually watched this in Black & White the first time and at some points it was almost documentary. When I re-viewed it in colour it was a diffrent experience.

I am an indiffren fan of Ambrose, sure his style is readable but he often gets the facts wrong, his Pegasus bridge book being one and like a lot of US authors forgets about the contribution made by other forces (though not to the same extent as others). Also in his eyes Eisenhower can do no wrong, but thats for another thread.

So its very good!

Yes, about Eisenhower, definitely a whole other thread :slight_smile:

I’ve heard that critique of Ambrose, and I’ve spotted some mistakes in his earlier works also. His general stereotype that every unit the Easy Company faced was crack German troops kind of got to me by the end. However, when reading Ambrose’s works, one must keep in mind that he wrote it as a memoir of the soldiers he interviewed. While many critics argued that he could have and should have done some researching before he published the interviews, I think in a way I can almost ignore those factual errors and appreciate the feeling that while reading it, it’s almost like you’re conducting the interviews with the veterans.

Am currently watching this for the upteenth time. I don’t know, but watching it on a projector is truly an awesome experience, and puts you in there. I too agree that an extra episode or two, would not have gone astray. Sad that Nixon died in '95. All the more that these two mates maintained their friendship for so long after the war. It is truly a remarkable production. I confess that I have not read the book though.

Yes, about Eisenhower, definitely a whole other thread :slight_smile:

I’ve heard that critique of Ambrose, and I’ve spotted some mistakes in his earlier works also. His general stereotype that every unit the Easy Company faced was crack German troops kind of got to me by the end. However, when reading Ambrose’s works, one must keep in mind that he wrote it as a memoir of the soldiers he interviewed. While many critics argued that he could have and should have done some researching before he published the interviews, I think in a way I can almost ignore those factual errors and appreciate the feeling that while reading it, it’s almost like you’re conducting the interviews with the veterans.[/quote]

Agreed on the point of interviews and on the crack unit point. Still it does portray very well how confusing and scarey actual combat was and also how tedious the bits in between were, which after all is what are most.

Since this isn’t technically I movie I have to rate as my all time favorite “production”. The book was incredible as well but I can certainly see the point of Ambrose making to big of a case out of somethings i.e. the crack units. He wrote another book about Lewis and Clark and it seemed that every other sentence for a while ther was “This was the first time ______ happens west of the Mississippi.” It got old quick. Book was good though.

Band of Brothers: Two thumbs WAY up.

Ambrose was accused of plagiarism in his final book:

Apparently an entire passage was lifted verbatim from an earlier work, but he was allowing his son (a very poor interviewer) and others to do much of his research and some writing for him as he was dying of lung cancer…

Having said that, “Band of Brothers” was an excellent read…

Band of Brothers is a great series, very detailed and trustfull. Anyway, i’ve read there’s a second series coming up by HBO, this time about the Pacific War against the Japanese.

Welcome to the site mrfo! :smiley:

I watched it in History class untill the asshole of a History teacher?head master lost the last episode and I never got to see it. Please what happend in short?

Henk

Henk

In short.

War ends, they all go home…

One of the best drama series made of the Second World War!! They really made a good job in filming it!!! 10/10