Battle of Aachen aftermath - Homefront | Gallery

Battle of Aachen aftermath

In front of the medical aid bunker Saarstraße the graves of german soldiers killed during the battle of Aachen, the two smaller crosses to the right however mark the graves of two boys who were shot for looting by SA forces from Berlin. The last encircled german defenders of Aachen surrendered on October 21, 1944, Aachen was the first german major city captured by the western allies.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://ww2incolor.com/gallery/homefront/21123/battle-of-aachen-aftermath

Question, Flame…To your knowledge was there a sign welcoming visitors to Aachen at that time. If there was, was it written in German, French and English? I’ve come across a photo of such a sign supposedly taken by a German soldier whi fought there. Since no other info was available, I tend to think that maybe the photo was taken from him or his body by someone and now it was sold after being found in some attic. Unfortunately, I come across a lot of photos and artifacts that were taken by “soldiers who didn’t need it anymore”. If there was no such sign, then I would suspect that it was taken by someone who returned to Aachen after the war.

Mmmh, I can hardly imagine that the NS leadership of Aachen under Gauleiter Josef Grohé would have approved something like that. Actually the population of Aachen (and of the entire Rhineland) always had been under special observation of the Nazis. Still in 1933 the Centrum parties had more votes here than the NSDAP. That’s because the Nazi politics and ideology was not compatible with the strict catholic belief of the population.

Hi FTG! My head is a little foggy at the moment, so I mught be missing the obvious. But SA? Was that a typo? I thought they had been disbanded long, long before this…