Battle of Stalingrad

We now know that this battle was a major turning point in the German army.

I was wondering what mistakes were made by the German Army. What could the Germans have done to prevent such a devastating blow to their defense?

The Germans could have surrendered earlier. That would have helped a lot.

From a humane point of view, yes. Not from a pure military point of view.

Do you really think close to the end of this engagement that Hitler was actually thinking militarily? I find it difficult to believe that based on the fact that he was still pushing his troops to win, when it was plainly obvious that they were toast. It seems as if he was thinking about his reputation more.

Please let me know if what I’ve stated is inaccurate.

No, you’re quite right. It’s just that a “miltary point of view” doesn’t inevitably include Hitler’s clouded train of thoughts.
The pure “military necessity” of the 6th Army’s struggle in and around Stalingrad was the anchoring of strong Soviet forces and so allowing the Army Group South establishing a new defence line at the Don river.

Guys can’t we also see the morale part . I mean wasnt the battle of Stalingrad the next big operation after the battle of Moscow ??? They defeated there and they have many casualties . also another aspect wasnt the lack of winter clothing for the germans ?

Well let’s start first that Hitler for first time since the start of war concentrated all of his power into one ruin city simply for his ego , which was desaster because the blitzkrieg was created for open spaces not to be concentrated in closed spaces of the city where the tanks of the germans turned useless . Also the constant change of the main target/ targets caused confusion and gave the needed time for the soviets to organize . And not on last place Stalin gave the command to Zukov for the defense unlike the personal full command of the army by Hitler never listenning to his generals .

Ivaylo is totally right !!! Hitler and Stalin were both diktatores but there was a difference between them . Hitler trusted his ego while Stalin had the supreme command but the army command was tou ZHukov and other generals . This was also for me at least that germany lost the war . So i “follow” Ivaylo

It’s almost impossible to leave out morale aspects when referring to the Battle of Stalingrad.
One problem of Hitler’s “planning” was that forces of Army Group South were splitted, going for another major goal, the Caucasus mountains.
Furthermore the supply lines were simply overstretched.

Ivaylo is always right!. I follow him too!!:army:

Her ? :shock::shock::lol::lol::lol: I am a boy not a girl man :lol::lol:

SORRY…I corrected my last post.so sorry, I was thinking of this pretty girl that sits next me when i posted that response…sorry once again!

No problem man , it was actually funny to read that :slight_smile:

Flamethrower’s right , the other bigger problem was the splitting move of the army group south , if i read and remember correct , cause the hammer did not fall “correctly” uppon the russian forces . Also just for the record the “her” of Herman to Ivaylo was really good …:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Stalin had ego a-plenty in WWII. It is just funny how that single battle put the breaks on further German advances.

It seemed like a downhill slide ever since.

theyre problem was that major irwin konig wasn’t successful in killing vasilli zaitsev

Dont forget that by this time, Hitler was under fairly heavy medication, and suffered from a few different conditions.This was most likely reflected in his strange military decisions later in the war.(not to mention being banned from X-Box gaming)

Cant we also say that a part in german loss of battle of stalingrad was the Allied
Invasion in North Africa ??? Or it happen later ???

Lets face it here, Mother Nature was a big cause in the German defeat!
I thank my lucky stars most times that Mother Nature back during the Stalingrad compaine never gave out normal weather. If so i believe we would not be here right now.
My believe and comon sence.

Regrads.

Yeah the weather took big part in teh loss of the germans . But guys everything we posted , i guess , is right , but maybe the first reason for the defeat , i guess , was the compination of all those reasons . The cold weather , the split of the army south group the morale part and also the ego of Hitler .
But thats me .