Battle of the Bulge

Alright! After working on this for literally days and days, it’s finally at a stage where I’m comfortable enough to release the first revision to the public:

Behold, the Battle of the Bulge! http://ww2db.com/battle_spec.php?battle_id=42

I don’t think this German offensive requires much introduction. It was, in short if I may, Hitler’s last gamble to gain prestige in the war in order to pursue a favorable negotiation position to end the war. As we all know, it ended a failure that consumed a large chunk of whatever little supplies of fuel and manpower that Germany had left. I hope with this article I can get some good discussion going in this thread! :slight_smile:

you did some good research. I see you have the 68,000 figure, which is the newest figures, from german archives. There are many us books that state that the losses were 100-125,000 men.

one interesting fact: even though the strike force was much larger, only 250,000 germans were able to fight the americans due to germany’s terrible lack of fuel and motorization at this time.

Nice little article Mr T… I think at this stage of the war it was real folly to carry out an operation on such a scale. The German armour didnt even start the Op with enough fuel to reach their objectives!

I also wonder just how many times did Hitler declare, if we lose, all is lost? I mean he had been saying it since 43! Only a madman indeed couldnt even heed his own advice!

Hosenfield – thanks, for the updated figures. I’m constantly reading about WW2 (though, yes it is a huuuuge topic) so as I’m reading more recent accounts, I’m constantly updating the website. Do you happen to have any recent articles, papers, or books that you can refer to me to add to my reading list?

Firefly – Mr. T? I PITY THE FOOL WHO DON’T KNOW WORLD WAR II! :smiley:

david m. glantz’s recent material is excellent. he has unrivaled access to soviet archives and has many charts, and statistics.

The battle of kursk
Colossus Reborn: The Red Army At War, 1941-1943
when titans clashed

there is a new complete 82nd airborne battle history by nordyke that is out now.

etc.etc. what do you need??

Excellent Info Thanks