Battleship of your heart

Guys, lets have a look at the list, which of the Battleship you like most and state your reasons. And lets not talk about which one is the BEST, every battleship ever had its day.

Cheers,…

I’ll go for Yamato,

It is big, imposing, frightening,… The look, just the look.:mrgreen:

Warspite, a survivor from the days when battleships actually meant something (she was part of the Grand Fleet at Jutland), and by far the best name of the lot :smiley:

I went for the Iowa, just for nostalgia a since she served off an on for a while…

Bismarck, beauty in a functional way

Bimarck, a real beauty and a legendary tale about her first and only voyage, what else could someone want from a ship.

How could you forget the Missouri in your list ?
it fought on till 1982, so that’s something.

sorry sir,. the number limitation did,… otherwise,… i shall put hiei, mutsu, yamashiro, dunkerque,. prince of wales etc,…

cheers

Ise aircraft carrier battleship.

I like the Iowa class battleships:

45,000 tons
861 feet at waterline, 887 feet - overall, 108 feet - beam, 29 feet - draft
212,000 S.H.P., 33 knots.
9 - 16 inch guns in 3 gun turrets (3 guns each)
20 - 5 inch DP guns in 10 gun turrets (2 guns each)
80 - 40mm AA guns
49 - 20 mm AA guns
Armor: hull belt - 19 inches, main gun turrets - 18 inches

BB.61 Iowa
BB.62 New Jersey
BB.63 Missouri
BB.64 Wisconsin

Best class of American battleships of WWII.

Two additional Iowa class battleships were planned, but cancelled.

BB.65 Illinois - cancelled 12 August 1945 (22 percent complete)
BB.66 Kentucky - construction suspended 17 February 1947 (69.2 percent complete - scrapped in Baltimore, MD in November 1958)

A heavier class of American battleships was planned, but cancelled 21 July 1943 - model shown above.

Montana class battleships: 5 ships

60,500 tons
890 feet at waterline, 921 feet - overall, 121 feet - beam, 36 feet - draft
172,000 S.H.P., 28 knots.
12 - 16 inch guns in 4 gun turrets (3 guns each),
20 - 5 inch guns in 10 gun turrets (2 guns each),
32 - 40mm AA guns in 8 mounts (4 guns each).

BB.67 Montana
BB.68 Ohio
BB.69 Maine
BB.70 New Hampshire
BB.71 Louisiana

Source: U.S. Warships of World War II, Paul H. Silverstone, Doublday & Company, Inc., 1972, pp 29 - 34

I gotta say tha NC a small but opposing warship

The Hood. Yeah, That’s right, The Hood. It was a one of a kind ship that was sent to the wrong place, at the wrong time, in the wrong war…

USS Arizona, still on active service, (in name only).

I gotta go with the Missouri. It was there at the end and also in that Steven Seagal movie. :wink:

Later,
Dave

I’d have to go with the Bismarck it fought hard and took lots of hits

the giant bismark that only last for so little

ill go with the Missouri. but then thats the state i live in !!! many cmdrs were very upset she was chosen for the surrender. but Truman was from Independence , mo. and prez’s get there way. BTY i graduated from HS in Indep. and I used to see harry take his daily walks by the school every after noon. hahaha
when I was in Nam they deployed the New Jersey. I saw those 16" shells. about the size of a volkswagan. they scared the crap out of the north. at the peace tables in Paris the delegation from the north said send her home or no peace agreement. whats that tell ya ???

Bismarck got insanely lucky at Denmark Strait to destroy the Hood (a barely modified WW1 battlecruiser/battleship hybrid) and drive off Prince of Wales (barely in commission, with dockyard workers still aboard). Even so, the Prince of Wales still damaged Bismarck enough to score a mission kill - i.e. Bismarck was forced to abandon it’s mission and leg it for France.
In the final battle, it was shot to pieces by King George V and Rodney, without inflicting any significant damage to either of them. The fact it kept floating is irrelevant, and even demonstrates poor design - the armour scheme protected watertight integrity but did not enable it to continue fighting. Fundamentally, it was a 1918 design (the Baden class) with a few minor improvements.

… and yet she still seems to touch a soft spot at our fellow englishmans national pride :mrgreen:

Nah, that’s the engineer in me being wound up at people praising a cr*p design. The only halfway decent battleship design of WW2 by the UK was HMS Vanguard, which turned up too late to be of any use. The Iowas were pretty good, as apparently was Richelieu. The UK had a fairly bad mix.
Hood - one of Fisher’s Follies, over-aged and under-modernised.
Nelson/Rodney - not bad designs fatally compromised by adhering to a treaty
Queen Elizabeth class - among the best of a bad lot, but a design which predated WW1 isn’t really what you want to rely on in WW2.
Revenge class - totally obselete, the biggest contribution these could have made to the war effort was as scrap steel, but instead they were kept on until the end of the war.
KGV class - about as useful as the QEs, the choice of an all new 14 inch turret really hurt these ships badly. Again, a case of bad design forced by political adherence to a naval treaty everyone else was unaffected by.

The Iowa class ships are highly rated by some but they were among the last battleships ever built so have few competitors. Had people continued to design and build battleships they would doubtless have been surpassed.