Best firearm of the war.

I belive that MG42 was the most efficent weapon because it can be held, used and moved by one man but better with 2.

mjk_mg42_3.jpg

Stg44 for me thanks.

Because it was the first assualt rifle give me a reason.

This is a weapon that made a difference against the allied.yes it was too late but when the German used it,it did wonders.
For instance,the division Charlemagne would never had been able to resist so long in Berlin if it wasn’t for the Stg44(and some handy panzerfausts…)

You house a good point but is a compable to the MG42?

No, because they are different types of weapons.
To measure a gpmg against a selective fire, intermediate rd rifle is like comparing bombers and fighters, similar machines but designed to do different jobs.

Have a quick search of the site and take a look at the (far too) many threads on ‘Which is Best…’ or ‘Favourite Gun.’

Isnt that a bit too heavy?
I would go with Stg44, btw.

Like the other gentlemens i would also go for the StG44 on the German side. [The Garand on the American side and the PPSh41 on the Sovjet side, the rural Sten for the Brits :stuck_out_tongue: ]

The Bren Gun

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer

Does anyone have documents of the stg44’s participation in battle?

“Best firearm” needs to be split into sub-topics, specifically: personal (individual’s) weapon, light machine gun, and heavy machine gun. All these are used at squad level. So, I’ll nominate the weapon(s) I would like to have, had I been an individual infantryman in WW2.

First choice is the M1 Garrand. It had more than enough power, range, penetration, and lethality for most situations. Plus, being a semiautomatic, it was better suited for sustained aimed fire, which is more effective and economical than full auto (Spray and Pray).

Second choice is the PPSh41. It was a very lethal weapon in spite of, or because of its shortcomings. It was heavy for a sub-machinegun, but as such with a 71 round drum it could lay down an impressive barrage of controlled full auto fire. Its small diameter pistol cartridge had decent velocity, range, and penetration out of a long barrel. It may not readily kill you if it hits you, but it sure could take you out of the fight (according to a Korean War veteran). Plus, at 900 rpm, it was the ultimate house-to-house weapon (short of a hand grenade). It’s greatest compliment came from the Germans who used captured ones whenever they could, and designed a 9mm clone of it. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Sturmgewehr! From Firepower to Striking Power
by Hans-Dieter Handrich

Contains translated reports from the first combat use of both the MKb.42 and MP.43 I cannot recommend a better book for anyone interested in this series of weapon.

Germans didn’t clone the PPSh-41 they re-barreled some to 9mm plus added an adaptor so that they would take MP.40 magazines.

Interestingly because the PPSh drum is a copy of the Finnish 9mm Soumi SMG it will feed 9mm as well as 7.62x25.

I read they originally prototyped and planned to manufacture a 9mm copy, but eventually decided it would be more expedient and cost effective to re-barrel/covert captured weapons. Also, the MP40/II (two, side-by-side 32 round stick magazines) was a response to the PPSh41’s 71 round drum.

Regarding my initial choices; I realize there were better choices for the ultimate “best firearm”, but thought it was more relevant to pick something that saw extensive use for most of the war. That criteria aside, I would go with the StG44.

Definatelly the Stg44 , and i have some suspicions that the russians cloned that weapon and created the so famous AK-47 because for me they look quite similar and both are very effective .

i ike the bren gn the best it was good agianst enimy troops

i also like the stg44

The Bren L.M.G gets my vote. Strong, versatile, accurate and stayed in service with the British army until the late 1990s (rechambered to 7.62mm Nato)

Mine is the rugged ole reliable kar98k

This isn’t a Bren gun, it looks like a Czech VZ-26 (from which the Bren gun was derived).

Jan