Best firearm of the war.

I belive that the MG42 is the best firearm because it can be move,used,fired,loaded and manned by one man.

mjk_mg42_3.jpg

I also thinks its the MG42
Weight 11.57 kg (25.5 lb)
Length 1220 mm (48 in.)
Rate of Fire 1200 rounds/min (varied between 900 and 1,500 rounds/min with different bolts)
Muzzle velocity 755 m/s (2,475 ft/s)

MG34s Rate of Fire 800-900 rounds/min
Early verions: 600 - 1000 round/min selectable on early versions pistol grip.
755 m/s (2,477 ft/s)
MG34"S" : 1,700 round/min.

MG34/41 : 1,200 round/min.

machine_gun_crew.sized[1].jpg

mg42crew.jpg

So can a feather duster - so how does this distinguish the MG42?

Classic! LMAO.

I like the mg-34 better than the mg-42 compared in field. Sure it takes more man hours to make, but the pros are: Does not have a crazy inaccurate firerate, it is semi-auto and automatic. But everyone else goes crazy saying stuff like," It jams all the time!!!." I like the MG3 too!

The Browning 50-caliber machine gun was the best in my view, closely followed by the German 88 mm cannon. If you changed places between them, it would be hard to argue.

MG42 was massed produced as a better solustion. And yes it MG42 may have been inaccurate but striked fear into every allied soldier. Hell, USA even made a film on how to mentally cope with it.

I always wondered why there wasn’t any german counterpart of the .50cal MG (12,7mm). On a regular base there weren’t any machine guns/-cannons between 7,92mm and 20mm for ground action.

I’m sorry, and I’m going to sound harsh here, but these broad-brush threads are pointless. It’s a bit like asking “what’s the best vehicle” and then trying to debate why a motorcycle is or is not better than a main battle tank or a fighter aircraft.

Without asking the supplementary question “what for?”, you just can’t answer the question. For instance, you can’t beat the Vickers machine gun for denying the enemy the use of a road junction at 3500 yards, but it is about as much use as tits on a fish for CQB.

I agree. I’m not a fan of broad topics. Some it’s interesting when we have thoughtful posts, but more often than not, the posts in threads like this get lost and muddled. I think a better approach is “which were the effective battle rifles” or something…

I think the Chauchat LMG was a very fine weapon, as it provided a gentle, invigorating massage to the firer whenever used. :mrgreen:

I’m still chuckling over the feather duster comment!..You kill me!LOL