Moisin Nagant 7.62 X 63
Tokarev semi-auto SVT38 and 40

Japanese Arisaka 6.5 and 7.7mm B/A rifles

SMLE IIIT
Enfield P14 0.303
T
Lee Enfield No IV*T

NB the P14 and P17 are in
i) because I know the AIF’s Independent Coy’s (commando units) used and preferred the P14. Had a longer effective sniping range than the SMLEIII*T’s.
ii) USA had so many p17’sit seems likely.

My vote is for a semi-auto, either the Garand, G43, or Tokarev. Followed by the no. 4 and then the SMLE III.

Follow-up fire somewhat safer as each has (and requires) less movement when reloading.

The Garand wins as most available. JMO.

I would say the 98 or the Enfield P14 0.303*T. The Moisin-Nagant had some problems but were rectified!.

Couple of corrections:

G41(W) never reached the front lines in a sniper configeration,
The Russian service rifle calibre is 7.62x54R.
The standard Russian sniper rifle was the Mosin Nagant 91/30 with PE or PU scope.
The M1 Garand sniper variation was very rare in WWII and did not reach general duty until the Korean war.

In my opinion the best sniper rifle would have been the No 4 MkI T.
Accurate with a smooth action.

If you are a sniper and need to fire more than one round, you’re not a sniper. So the question of firing and reloading is irrelevant. At the range snipers engage at the slight movement of reloading would not be seen.

The action of reloading the SMLE is that of lifting the right hand to the shoulder and returning it to the trigger.

Ask your self the question, which was in service the longest?

You will have your answer.

Quite – only one of those rifles survived into the 1980s/1990s (with the calibre change and heavy barrel, of course)…

In other news, this has already been done to death on threads passim

If you are a sniper and need to fire more than one round, you’re not a sniper. So the question of firing and reloading is irrelevant.

Thats a rather generalistic statement to say the least, and though snipers were employed with single targets in mind, there main use within WW2 was to target multiples, and thus re-loading was important.

Not in quick succession they weren’t.

Sniping is not about rounds down range but accurate fire from a concealed position. An accurate sniper can halt a rifle company. Every time some one moves some one dies.

“Smith when I say move, get up and run.”

“Smith can you hear me?”

“I know you’re they Smith.”

“Come here and tell me that Cpl.”

My heart is on the Mauser K-98 but I have to recognize that the SMLE is a good rifle.

As for automatic rifles as sniper rifles (SR), how many armies now have bolt action SR. All modern armies have AR but not many had auto SR.

That should put the lid on that.

There is a mix, In my opinion the best modern semiauto is the H&K PSG-1.

The PSG-1 is, as the name indicates, not a military weapon but designed for use by police forces.
It has been used by military units around the world, (including 1SASR Timbo,) but employed mainly in the CRW rôle.

There are several reasons for it being inappropriate for military sniping including, but not limited to:

• It flings the spent and mangled brass a good thirty feet from the firing position.
  • There is (mercifully) no bolt lock to counteract the above.
  • It is a heavy weapon (over eight kilos ! :shock: )
  • It is an absolute pig to stalk with.
  • The delayed rollerlocking system is German overengineering at it’s finest - utterly unnecessary for a rifle.
  • The movement of the bolt is violent when compared to other semi-autos, thereby disturbing the sight picture.
  • There are too many openings which allow the ingress of sand & dirt.
  • No back-up sights
  • There is no provision for a handstop
  • One cannot use a sling as an aid to accuracy !

The one feature I do like is the dinky adjustable tripod, a great bit of kit which is not a part of the wpn and can be used with any rifle on hard standing - pretty useless for green snipers mind.

The SR-25 is a better weapon but still suffers from the “OI ! I’M OVER HERE !” problem associated with self-loading rifles.

Basically the PSG1, (and the MSG1 et al,) cannot be considered as sniper rifles.

I agree that it could more well employed in the dirtless police urban enviroment, but…¿ If not a sniper rifle what is then? :?

As the title says, it’s a Polizei-Präzisionsscharfschützengewehr. (Police precision sharpshooter rifle.)

I think that a more correct interpretation of those are simply Polizei Scharfschuetzen Gewehr.

I like Steyr weapons, the Scout is quite a nice weapon. Though it is difficult to comment on it as I have never fired any weapon other than an air rifle. Not a WW2 weapon either!

http://www.snipercentral.com/scout.htm

The wording “Polizei-Präzisionsscharfschützengewehr” was and is H&K’s own designation. QED.

The Scout is an extremely good rifle - but then I’m biased, I have one myself. :smiley:
Mine easily shoots 1’ of angle which is above and beyond what was originally asked of the design.
It’s a very light rifle which makes it a dream to carry over the khuds, but the recoil is far from punishing, in fact I prefer it to some semi’s such as the G3.

It was Jeff Cooper, an ex-USMC Col and vet of WWII and Korea (where he wasn’t issued both a rifle and a M1 carbine :wink: ) who came up with the Scout Rifle concept, a light accurate rifle capable of rapidly taking man sized tgts and medium game up to and beyond 300 metres.
Not a sniper rifle per se but a scoped carbine-sized wpn in 7.62 x 51.

Here’s some bumf from one of the plethora of Scout sites:

The Steyr Scout is the result of the collaboration of many individuals. The scout rifle concept was the brainchild of Jeff Cooper, noted author and shottist who in the early 1980 conceived of the concept of a light, handy, general purpose field rifle (as opposed to a “paper puncher”) capable of handling targets up to about 800 - 1000 pounds in weight. In conjunction with several other shooters the concept was codified during several “scout rifle conferences” beginning in December of 1983. The basic requirements are as follows.

Weight-sighted and slung: 3 kilograms (6.6 lb). This has been set as the ideal weight but the maximum has been stated as being 3.5 kg (7.7 pounds ).
Length: 1 meter (39 inches)
Nominal barrel length: 48 cm (19 inches)
Sighting system: Forward and low mounted (ahead of the action opening) long eye relief telescope of between 2x and 3x. Reserve iron sights desirable but not necessary.  Iron sights of the ghost ring type, without a scope, also qualify.
Action: Magazine fed bolt action. Detachable box magazine and/or stripper clip charging is desirable but not necessary.
Sling: Fast loop-up type, i.e. Ching or CW style.
Caliber: Nominally .308 Winchester (7.62 x 51 mm). Calibers such as 7 mm - 08 Remington (7 x 51 mm) or  .243 Winchester (6 x 51 mm) may be considered for frail individuals or where "military" calibers are proscribed.
Built-in bipod: Desirable but not mandatory.
Accuracy: Should be capable of shooting into 2 minutes of angle (4") or less  at 200 yards/meters (3 shot groups).

http://www.steyrscout.org/scouthis.htm