Bill Mauldin's Willie and Joe cartoons

Bill Mauldin was an American editorial cartoonist during WWII. He was assigned to the 45th division where he volunteered to work for the Division’s newspaper. He began to draw cartoons for the paper which eventually evolved into Willie and Joe. ( Willie was based on an actual buddy of Mauldin, while Joe was a more generic figure ) Mauldin was transferred to Stars and Stripes the American soldiers newspaper where he was given his own jeep so that he could roam the front lines gathering material for his research. He was averaging about six cartoons a week, and they were seen not only in Europe but also back home in the States.
The War Office supported their syndication, not only because they helped publicize the ground forces but also to show the grim and bitter side of war, which helped show that victory would not be easy. Mauldin soon angered General Patton, and he summoned Mauldin to his office and threatened to “throw his *** in jail” for “spreading dissent” after one of Mauldin’s cartoons made fun of Patton’s demand that all soldiers must be clean-shaven at all times, even in combat. But General Eisenhower stood up for Mauldin and ordered Patton to leave Mauldin alone, because he felt that Mauldin’s cartoons gave the soldiers an outlet for their frustrations. So right now I’m going to post one of my favorite “Willie and Joe” cartoons, hope you enjoy it.
w&j target.jpg

Joe: "Able Fox Five to Able Fox. I got a target but ya gotta be patient.”

Here’s another good one.
mauldin-vetsday2.jpg

That stuff is not nearly as much fun as it looks like.

Mauldin played Audie Murphy’s buddy in “The Red Badge of Courage.”

I remember that. I thought he played the part pretty good.

This is the cartoon that got Mauldin in hot water with Patton.