Black Eye For The British Government

This is disgraceful and wrong. Check out this site. http://www.vchero.co.uk/

A little background on the disgraced soldier

Tul Bahadur Pun VC(born 23 March 1923) is a Nepalese recipient of the Victoria Cross, the highest award for gallantry in the face of the enemy that can be awarded to British and Commonwealth forces. In addition to the Vicitoria Cross, Mr Pun VC has been awarded 10 other medals, including the Burma Star.

There is already sympathy for him among British members of this forum.
http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4847

As this is a current issue I didn’t think to look under WWII British for similar threads. It’s amazing who our Countries let through the borders and then a true war hero is denied. I just don’t get what’s going on these days.

[b]Gurkha with VC “failed to demonstrate that you have strong ties with the UK”

Dame what else do you have to do! Maybe if he had won WW2 by himself, tattooed the Union Jack on his head and gave the King his own personal space shuttle … he would have no problem.

Hell the US most decorated got a movie career. This guy just want to go to the hospital. :confused:
[/b]

All over the press today, so the pressure is finally starting to tell. Just shows the power of Arrse - within a week of getting on the case, a non-story is known about worldwide.

Thats good news…hope he gets the help he needs.

He will, we Brits are just as outraged by this event as anybody else, if not more so - he’s one of us!

Particlularly the British Servicemen, I think, thanks to the Brit Army Website every potentially friendly MP and Lord has been emailed wrt this matter.

Beleive it or not, this would probably prevent entry. Potential recruits to the police have been turned away for having such “inappropriate” tattoos.

Goverment have capitualted.

Government Statement :

Immigration Minister Liam Byrne said today: "The circumstances surrounding Tul Bahadur Pun’s case are clearly exceptional, and in the light of this the Home Secretary, John Reid, and I have reviewed the case and made the decision to grant Mr Pun a settlement visa immediately.

"This decision was not taken lightly and reflects the extraordinary nature of this case, in particular Mr Pun’s heroic record in service of Britain which saw him awarded the Victoria Cross. It is entirely right that this record should not only be recognised but honoured.

“There has always been scope to grant settlement in the UK to ex-Gurkhas who have retired before July 1997, and who do not meet the requirements in the immigration rules. As on this occasion, discretion may be exercised on a case by case basis. We have also taken into consideration his current medical condition.”

Good News…

"A FORMER Gurkha who won the Victoria Cross fighting to save British troops was yesterday awarded a visa to remain in the UK after a Government climbdown.

The Home Office reversed its decision to deny a visa to Tul Bahadur Pun after a campaign led by actress Joanna Lumley."

Good old Joanna

I can assure you however, the campagne was not led by her.

Or the Mirror.

Or the Sun.

They can not print the other word for a human backside, can’t they? :smiley:

I’ve been following the campaign, but since I’m not British I wasn’t able to participate in the petitions and as never having been a member of the British forces I’m a bit reluctant to post on this particular site (I’ve done so a few times, but only when I was sure I could contribute something worthwhile in the history forum, but this was your show)
Good drill guys! I’ll have a pint (or two) on the old chap and the guys and girls who showed it to the government! Let me know how the reception was going on when the gentleman and his wife come over. (I imagine a few hundred members of this particular site in formation might be some sight!)

Jan

Don’t worry about it Walther.

Post away, most of the people on there are either retired or not soldiers anyway.

The current affairs boards are good.