BM-13 "Katusha"

At the streets of the Berlin:
http://victory.rusarchives.ru/catalogue/photo.php?photo_id=340&id=17

http://victory.rusarchives.ru/catalogue/photo.php?photo_id=341&id=17

Imho, most dangerous and powerful weapon of the WW2. And my favorite too :smiley: Survivers in attack of the BM-13 (unique luck) called that ā€œrain of fireā€ or ā€œfire hellā€. Even the cover bombardement couldnā€™t achieved such concentrate of fire and destructionā€¦ I like this weaponā€¦ :slight_smile:

wow, looks destructive

Not only looks. Very mobile, easy and quick to reload (some times later Soviet army began to use automatic reloaders based on transport car), fantastic firepower and good attack range. An ideal combination. More interesting - BM-13 was researched eventually. Initially, this weapon was researched for using chemical and biological ammo. But the experience was show that explosive ammunition made such great destructive and psichological effectā€¦ German survivors, at the begining of using Katusha, thought that was some tipes of secret electical weapon which using a thunders. And only some times later, when they find the crops of ammo, they realized true face of BM-13.

Not only do they look cool they were deadly as hell. Those things were F***ing awesome. I want one ā€¦ for no apparent reason. :slight_smile:

but the armour seems to be very thin, it can be very expose to any german tank if not defend carefully, and the rocket can be very inaccarate?

Noone used BM-13 in close combat. In Soviet callls them ā€œGuardian Artilleryā€. The range of Katusha is more then enough for firing through horizon. BM 13 have no armor in cost of increasing speed. Germans have many problems to locate russian artillery positions which moving with speed about 50 km/hā€¦ Time to stop for making shot - about 2 minutesā€¦ Best solution of mobile warā€¦

I think the Katusha was much better than the German Neblewarffer (spl?)

Yep. The Germans weapons of such type was bad to compare with BM-13 and more latest, BM-13SN. Germans weapons has an ammo with smaller mass of warhead (20-30% of Soviet), smaller range 1,5-2,5 km German, 7-9 km Soviet, and BM-13 is a transport-based weapon, and can fire from wheels. Germans atillery of such type has no such mobility and after first shot was often destroyed with counter-fireā€¦

Noone used BM-13 in close combat. In Soviet callls them ā€œGuardian Artilleryā€. The range of Katusha is more then enough for firing through horizon. BM 13 have no armor in cost of increasing speed. Germans have many problems to locate russian artillery positions which moving with speed about 50 km/hā€¦ Time to stop for making shot - about 2 minutesā€¦ Best solution of mobile warā€¦[/quote]
oic, thanks for the explaining, but would the rockets be very inaccurate? rockets just invented, and i somtimes doubt it would be that useful in thie early stage

Actually believe it or not rockets have been around since at least the napoleonic wars if not before that. If you ever have heard the American national anthem. ā€¦and the rockets red glareā€¦ The were mostly tube packed full of gunpowder that had some kind of explosive on the end. Mainly to help set fires.

Birthday of Russian rocket weapon in a 1702, when Petr I the Great, use them to destroy walls of Sweden fortresses. In the world, first rockets in wars was used by China about 900 yearā€¦ So, this isnā€™t very modern weaponry. Accuracy of the BM-13 ammo was about 50 meters. This isnā€™t so much, but much better than all weapons of such type in that period. And more - the BM-13 shoot with 20 rockets. 7 BM-13 in the squad. 140 50-kg warheads shooting in 20 seconds. Sea of fire. Even metal was melted in the targeted zone. I think no need in accuracyā€¦ :smiley:

Ya the chinese used rockets soon after the discovery of gunpowder. They would have a whole lot of fire cracker rocket type things and light them up at the same time.

This is one of the most powerful weapons in the times World War II!

Few mine pictures BM-13 and BM-24

BM-13

BM-24

together

and last rocket from BM-13

Great pics Polar. Helps show how mean this was. Have you ever seen one fireā€¦its absolutely incredible. :shock:

Good pic of ā€œKatushaā€ firing:
http://pobeda.rambler.ru/photo_popup.html?id=135&type=images&index=3&countryid=207

Good picture Komissar!

Also:

BM 31-12:

M8-6:

Nazi

[/img]

how can those things aim at enemy target?, especially to those targets that are moving, i can imagine its pretty hard :shock:

Not too hard. More, thatā€™s very easy. The shot of BM-13 covered a bit less km2. Standard squad of BM-13 is 7 units. About 6km2. When you drop an a-bomb, you donā€™t targeting direct house, yes?