Bombs for Britain

Hello from a newcomer,

My dad has dictated his memoirs to me and I’m trying to flesh out some of the things he talks about. He went to Ireland and England as an employee of Lockheed working on a project he recalls as Bombs for Britain. I can’t find a reference to this. Does anyone know if this was a Lockheed specific project, or a national campaign?

Thanks,

Welcome it is nice to have you and I am sure that others would like snippets of your father’s memoirs if possible.

As to your request can you give more info, what part of NI did he go to? There was operation flown from NI covering the convoys and a number of US personnel were posted as observers :smiley: (that’s what it said if they were captured) to learn the trade before the US came into the war.

What date would also be useful? Most of the docs from that time are now open to the public.

Thank you for your quick response. My dad worked for Lockheed as a storekeeper. He ultimately had a job driving around the British Isles looking for salvagable airplane parts (while working for Lockheed). He eventually got so familiar with parts and assembly, he could recount the construction of an airplane in detail from memory. Not surprisingly, this kind of detail oriented nature led him to a career as a government auditor.

After he returned from Europe he enlisted in the Navy and went to the Pacific. What’s really neat is he has a lot of photos.

He went to GB in the spring of 1942 on a converted Australian ship, the Aorangi. He recalls the Bombs For Britain campaign as a national effort. I can’t find mention of it.

Hi Odiegirl,
Welcome aboard! You picked the right forum. We have a number of British folks on here, just sit tight and hope some of them see this thread;)

Btw, feel free to share your photos…you can easily do so by clicking the MANAGE ATTACHMENT button beanth your post when writing.

It may be that you or he has miss heard and it was not Bombs but Bonds. This would seem more likely as prior to the US entering the war there was not a lot of overt war material help from the US as many politicians had written us off. Kennedy is one that springs to mind.
I do realise that this is NZ but you should get the meaning.

http://www.pukeariki.com/en/stories/leadingwomen/gayton.asp

Bonds for Britain

“Invariably, I would come off one those shifts and be told I was on parade: ‘Get yourself to Auckland Domain’.”

The “Bonds For Britain” marches were held to raise awareness and money for England, which was being hammered by Germany.

“There was a greater tie to Britain (than now) and they called for help.”

Lorna says that being on parade meant donning a dress uniform and marching from the domain, along Karangahape Road and down Queen Street to Customs Street, where the troops dispersed.

Bonds For Britain: WAAFs on parade at Blenheim in 1942. Lorna remembers taking part in parades to aid the war effort in Britain.

“I think they were very worthwhile, very impressive. People were very patriotic in those days too,” she says.

However, if the public had looked closely they would’ve seen women marching out of sync. The problem was the bands.

At the front was a brass band and at the rear were the bagpipe players. Lorna says the music didn’t match - and neither did the rhythm of the troops. “It was impossible to keep in step!”

Hi, fron England, Odiegirl.

Not been able to turn up anything on the bombs for britain front, but have a look at http://www.cofepow.org.uk/pages/ships_aorangi.htm &
http://perdurabo10.tripod.com/ships/id16.html

These I turned up by googling aorangi (ship). Look to be loads more with info that may help you in your search.

I’ll keep looking from over here.

All the best,

Andy

Thanks all for responding. I think I have narrowed this down a bit. I think it was the “Bombers for Britain” effort and I think it was a Lockheed campaign for building Hudson aircraft for the war effot.

The search for other details continues.

Also, am going through photos now and would love to share them once I get the memoirs completed.

Odiegirl,
Glad your getting there, will look forward to seeing photo’s in time.

All the best,

Andy