Boys .55 Anti Tank rifle

Here is a short training film about the boys A.T. Rifle. Entertaining, (poor Adolph)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMDgMliunDs

It was entertaining alright, and a good bit of fantasy as well…

I just hope those Canadians didn’t believe it too much, since by 1942 a frontal shot with a Boys on a Panzer would have gotten them all killed more than likely…

I think the boys had been relegated to teasing birds by then, though it would have been usable against most Japanese tanks through the war, the German armor was too much for it by then. Its fun to shoot, but has a sharper recoil than the 20mm guns of the time. It used a compressed cordite charge, looks like spaghetti, I’m told that the shoulder of the case was formed after loading to get enough into the case. The guns were issued with a large ration of Bacon, and moosehead, so the troops didnt mind…:slight_smile:

While the Boys Anti-tank rifle often gets a lots of criticism, in truth it was a fairly well designed weapon, being as good as most other nations anti tank rifles of the time.
The trouble was, in the 38-40 period the average tank armour thickness increased from around 8-15mm to 15-30mm, which greatly reduced the rifles effectiveness.

ps, The Boys rifle was actually used by the US Marine Corps in the Pacific campaign. Nicknamed the ‘Elefant Gun’ it was useful against Japanese armour, and bunkers.

And as with other British weapons, it was very accurate.

Paul

The Boys was a nicely made weapon, and are a popular weapon to convert to US .50 cal, then they avoid being classed as a destructive device, and saves lots of paperwork, and $$. I that, or another caliber, this rifle would be great for any long range use, or just fun shooting. In .55, it has a sharp, fairly unpleasant recoil. If anyone is interested, there are a few for sale here, they go for around $4,500.00