British POW in Belsen

My grandfather was captured during WWII and held in Belsen, he managed to escape twice but was re-captured. I am looking for any information in regards to POW’s held in Belsen but cant seem to find any, I can only find information on the British liberating the camp.

Could someone please help me with this as unfortunately he died long before I was born and I would like to find out more about his experiences so I can pass it onto my dad.

Thanks

Im assuming you mean Bergen-Belsen. I watch a show where an American pilot was betrayed by someone he thought was French Resistance. The french bastard made the American give up his dog tags. He was then turned into the Gestopo. They didnt think he was an allied solider. I dont remember if he was sent to Bergen-Belsen or not. However there where some other allied POW’s there that had been thru the same crap. It included a few other Americans and some Commonwealth and British troops. My guess is about 20-30 or so. They were treated pretty badly. A bit better than the Jews but not much. Anyhow one of the POW’s happen to speak german which saved their lives. One day a Luffewaffe General came to the camp to inspect bomb damage. The POW bravely ran up to the General without getting shot and explained his story to him. A couple of months later the Luffewaffe General came back and the POW’s where moved to a proper POW camp. The American said something to the extent that it was like living on the street and then being moved to a 5 star hotel. Conditions at the POW camp werent great but much better than where he had been.

Dont know if this helps or not. Ill see if I can dig up any more info on it. Do you know what your grandfather did in the war? Did he lose his dog tags? Maybe he went thru a simliar experience as the American I have mentioned. Or hell he could have be part of the same group. Hard to say.

Thanks for your response, I assume it was Bergen-Belsen.
All I have seen are his discharge papers, but my nana died a year ago so im not sure where they are now.

Im not sure what he did in the war, all I know is that he managed to escape twice but was re-captured. Thats about it.
If you can find anything more that would be great.

Thanks

TT if this is a serious post, my condolences.

To my knowledge, I was based near Bergan-Belson in Bergan-Hohne, there were no POW’s kept actually in the Belson camp (or there were non e liberated at the end anyway). He may have been kept at Hohne as a servant/work party.

However if you get in touch with Hohne camps’ security officer, who also runs the camp museum, or indeed the museum of Bergan-Belson I am sure they would help in all ways they could.

I am sorry I do not know any numbers for the above listed persons.

It is very difficult to find any info on that, but i wish you good luck and hope you do find some.