British Weapons in WW2

My Favourite British gun is the Lee Enfield, my favourite british revolver is the Webley Mark 4.
Some British guns in WW2 such as the renouned rifle the ‘Enfield No.4 Mk.I.’ that was used from 1902 through to World War Two.
It was the English favourite gun in WW1 and one of their favourite in WW2.

At the start of WW2, Great Britain was badly under armed. The disastrous campaigns in France in 1940 which resulted in the massive evacuation under fire of British and Allied troops from the beaches of Dunkirk and Calais further depleted her inventory of arms. Massive shipments of military arms from the U.S. Government and sporting arms from private American citizens helped to ease the situation somewhat, but it was the amazingly fast production program that the British had put into effect as early as September 1939 that saved the British Army of poverty of Weaponary. The No. 4 Enfield was produced in a wide number of variations, most having to do with ways to cut production costs and time.

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-weapons/allied_ww2.htm
This Website page link here displays the weapon of choice by the british and an idea of what they liked to use.
The website also has all other kind of other countries guns, such as Axis, Soviet and American.

Sorry, mate, but the No.4 Mk.1 was not officially adopted till 1939 (List of Chages Para B4737), and was not produced in any significant numbers until WW2 had well and truly kicked off.

EDIT: The Rifle, Short, Magazine, Lee-Enfield Mk.1 was adopted on 23rd December 1902 (List of Changes Para 11715), and the Short, Magazine Lee-Enfield Mk.III was adopted on 26th January 1907 (List of Changes Para 13853). It was the SMLE Mk. III (and Mk. III*) which saw service in both World Wars, although its production in the UK stopped in favour of the No.4, although it continued to be produced in India and Australia. In the 1920s, the British nomenclature changed, and the SMLE was then called the Rifle No.1.

Also, the Webley Mk.IV - which one do you mean? The bird’s head butt .455, or the .380/200 which looks like the Enfield No.2?

Oh, right because i read that the Enfield was created in 1902, but that must of wrong.
Whats your favourite british weapon man of stoat, if you have one tell me :smiley: with its full description of information background and why its your fave. 8)

“enfield” on its own can refer to anything from the Magazine Lee-Enfield of 1895 through to the No.9, and even the EM-2.

As it is, I cannot have a favourite - we pretty much had one or 2 of each category. I couyld do “favourite British revolver” or “favourite british rifle” but not “favourite british weapon”.

I see, what kind of weapons from world war two Era have you fired just out of curiosity, if have so then tell me what was the least you liked and the one you found more accurate.

See here: http://www.ww2incolor.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=239&highlight=ww2+weapons+fired

Nice, very impressive mate.
Well my favourite british ww2 gun is the Lee Enfield Rifle. :smiley:

Which one?

MLE?
SMLE (No.1)?
No.4?
No.5?
No.6?

MLE (obsolete by WW1 although the Navy still had some, and some were used for training):

SMLE:

No.4:

No.5:

No.6 look like a No.5 but built on an SMLE action, either with a tangent backsight (100 made) or a leaf backsight (like the no.5 - 100 made).

(edit to add MLE)

For me the best guns is STEN AND BREN ,i dont see in real life that two rifles ,but i see in games. :wink:

I very seriously doubt that the 1800’s Mk.IV was used to any extent by anyone. The early Mk.IV fired the .455 Mk.I cartridge, this was about .2 of an inch longer than the Mk.II cartridge because it uses black powder. It wasn’t untill the Mk.V that the British switched to smokeless. However, several British officers still carried Mk.V’s and Mk.VI’s. When ever dealing with this situation, it is very safe to assume that the 1930’s version of the Mk.IV was used.

Which one?

MLE?
SMLE (No.1)?
No.4?
No.5?
No.6?[/quote]

I do like no. 6 with its excellent smooth reloading but SMLE # 1. is my favourite , i always called the SMLE after it’s nickname ‘Smelly’.

Which one?

MLE?
SMLE (No.1)?
No.4?
No.5?
No.6?[/quote]

I do like no. 6 with its excellent smooth reloading but SMLE # 1. is my favourite , i always called the SMLE after it’s nickname ‘Smelly’.[/quote]

Err, the No.6 has the same bolt as the SMLE, and there were only 200 made. I have fired one of them, btw. All the Lee-Enfield rifles are reknowned for their smooth reloading.

I handles that model and it felt more accessible and easier to use :slight_smile: