British West Indian Forces

139 (Jamaica) Squadron, Bomber Command.

Squadron Leader Ulric Cross was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC) in 1944 for his gallantry during the Second World War. While serving as a Pilot Officer with 139 (Jamaica) Squadron, he participated in bombing attacks across occupied Europe. In 1945 he was also awarded the Distinguished Service Order (DSO) in recognition of his ‘fine example of keenness and devotion to duty’ and ‘exceptional navigational ability’.

WORLD WAR II AIRMAN

ULRIC CROSS RECALLS

‘THE DAY I ALMOST DIED’

By Sean Douglas

In World War Two, some 250 Trinidadians served in the British Royal Air Force (RAF), of whom 52 were killed in action, their names now displayed on a memorial at Chaguaramas.

Among the servicemen marking yesterday’s Remembrance Day was former Justice Ulric Cross, who flew on 80 bombing missions to Germany and occupied France during World War II.

Cross, a former Trinidad and Tobago High Commissioner to the United Kingdom, joined the RAF in 1941 as a navigator in Bomber Command, flying in a very fast, small, plyboard, two-man bomber, the Mosquito.

“We did a lot of low-level daylight bombing. We flew at just 50 feet instead of the normal 25,000 feet. We dropped four 500-pound bombs. You flew in to your target at 50 feet and as you approached it you went up to 1,200 feet. You then did a shallow dive onto the target and released your bombs. The bomb had an 11-second delay, so you shot up to avoid the bomb blast. We went over in formation and we bombed in formation, but we came back independently. I did eight such missions,” he recalled.

Cross, said that although the mosquito’s speed initially allowed it to escape German flak (anti-aircraft fire), the Germans soon twigged and started shooting down a lot of pilots.

“It became very expensive,” he lamented, mourning the death of a former St Mary’s College schoolmate Kenrick Rawlins, shot down on his seventh mission.

When it was later discovered that 80 percent of bombs dropped missed their targets, the RAF established a Pathfinder Force to guide the bombers. Cross joined that select group.

He explained: "We dropped flares over the target and bombers coming after us would then bomb our flares. There were about a dozen Pathfinders followed by hundreds of bombers. Sometimes when we dropped our flares the Germans would then drop decoy markers 50 miles away. To combat that we were told to drop our bombs at a particular time, with just a ten-second leeway either side. Punctuality was essential to the job.

“I did 80 operational flights over Germany, including 21 to Berlin. We never had guns; we depended (for our safety) on accurate navigation and speed.”

Cross was asked whether he was afraid during combat.

“You can’t be trained not to be afraid but trained to conquer fear. It comes from a belief that what you’re doing is right and is worthwhile,” he replied.

He added that as navigator he was so busy during typical five-hour mission to Berlin that he didn’t have time to be afraid.

"All your flight you are busy, busy, busy. The pilot has more time to be afraid than you do. But when the flak starts coming at you and you are ‘coned’ in a searchlight…(you feel fear). But your job is to get to the target on time and that is what you are preoccupied with.

“The big danger was fighters. Coned in a searchlight they can see you miles away. If you can’t get out of the light you watch out for fighters. I was once coned for 15 minutes going to Berlin. The searchlights light up the whole sky. You can’t see yourself lit up but you can see other aircraft in cones. They all look silver whatever their actual colour. It’s amazing. They really stand out. You can be seen for miles around by fighters and flak. My plane was hit by flak many times.”

Cross recalled his worst experience - nearly dying in a crash-landing after enemy flak destroyed one of his plane’s two engines.

"We flew home over the whole of Germany on one engine at just 7,000 feet at a reduced speed. It was very dangerous because of fighters. At one stage my pilot told me we might have to bail out. He said ‘Put on your parachute.’ I didn’t like the idea and we stuck with the plane. We couldn’t make it back to our RAF base at Witton. I had to work out a course to the nearest other RAF base, Swanton Morley, also in East Anglia.

"When we eventually came in to land, the RAF base wasn’t expecting us and we couldn’t tell them because we had to maintain radio silence otherwise the Germans would have pinpointed us. There was no flare path on the runway. Instead of circling, we went straight in. We overshot and landed halfway along the runway. We went over the end of the runway and through a hedge.

"We plunged down into a disused quarry. My pilot said ‘Ulric this is it.’

I said ‘Yes Jack.’ We thought we were going to die. We were both rather cool about it. Fortunately, the landing speed of the Mosquito was not fast, especially with just one engine. We both hit our heads very badly. But we survived."

Smiling, Cross said he escaped unscathed from his wartime experiences his only injury being a bad knee suffered when playing football in the snow at Eastbourne in 1941.

Celebrating 82 years, he is in fine health and is planning to attend a reunion of his 139 “Jamaica” Pathfinder Squadron in London next year.

He proudly displayed a model Mosquito specially crafted for him by the manufacturers, the de Havilland Corporation, at the request of his son-in-law, British peer Lord Hollick. Presented to him as a birthday gift, it was inscribed, “In celebration of 80 glorious years ad 80 glorious missions.”

Dominica

King and Country is the compelling story of Dominicans who served in the great wars.
What do Dominicans today know of their ancestors who flew over the skies of Europe, manned the beaches of our islands besieged by marauding German U-Boats, or went to Italy and Egypt to fight Adolph Hitler’s fascism in World War II? Precious little.

What does their legacy have to do with the modern Dominican nation? A great deal!

As we ponder the perils and promise of our 30 years of independence, these heroes who gave their lives for freedom in World War military service in Britain’s Army, Navy and Royal Air Force find new life and meaning in a newly released book from Pont Casse Press

For King & Country: The Service & Sacrifice of the Dominican Soldier. Many notable Dominicans in public and civic leadership today are the relatives - or offspring - of those who served in World War Two.

Many owe their patriotism to the values of service upon which they were nourished by their forbearers whose work hastened our independence and strengthened civic duty in our society.

The role of the British West Indian soldier in World Wars I and II has been seldom explored.

However, in this groundbreaking work, Irving W. Andre and Gabriel J. Christian, provide a fascinating history of British West Indian soldiers.

Revealed is the little known 1802 revolt by British West Indian soldiers against slave conditions at Fort Shirley, Dominica; World War I action by West Indian soldiers against Turkish forces in the Middle East;

Dominica’s purchase in World War I of Britain’s first Vickers Gnome aircraft christened, Dominica, which was later shot down over France; and West Indians in Royal Air Force (RAF) service as pilots, navigators, bomb aimers and ground crew during World War II.

Seldom written of, and revealed here, is the fact that 7,000 British West Indians served in the RAF during World War II, and the purchase of dozens of aircraft for the RAF by West Indians who raised such funds under harsh economic conditions.

This history is given a deeply personal touch as it is told through the words of two Dominican veterans who served in the British Army’s South Caribbean Forces: Wendell Christian and Twistleton Bertrand.

We read also of Dominicans such as Harold Bryant, Osmunde St. Clair Alleyne, and L.A. McKoy who won high honors, to include the DFC, for their courage shown over the skies of battle torn Europe.

The role of the South Caribbean Forces in securing the islands during the U-Boat war unleashed by Germany on allied shipping in the Caribbean is reviewed in graphic detail.

To that end, it is revealed that the allies lost 400 ships to German U-Boats in the Battle of the Caribbean; with the Germans losing only 23 U-Boats in return.

We are also introduced to Trinidadian-born RAF Squadron Leader, Phillip Louis Ulric Cross, DFC, DSO: An ace navigator, he did 80 missions over occupied Europe in 139 (Jamaica) Squadron of RAF Bomber Command.

We also get an introduction to the fascinating life story of RAF Flight Lieutenant Dudley Thompson, who served in a Lancaster bomber, then went on to become a Rhodes Scholar at Oxford and an organizer of the Fifth Pan African Congress in Manchester.

He earned the nickname “Burning Spear” for having successfully defended nationalist leader Jomo Kenyatta of Kenya during that country’s independence struggle.

Thompson later served as Jamaica’s Minister of Foreign Affairs and National Security in the cabinet of Michael Manley who, himself, served in the Royal Canadian Air Force during World War II.

Both Cross and Thompson, each 91 years of age, were interviewed for this book and have special sections dedicated to them.

The link between military service and political leadership is revealed in stark detail in this work, when one considers that Caribbean legends such as Norman Washington Manley, Milton Cato, Dr. Edward Scobie, Captain Arthur Cipriani, Tubal Uriah “Buzz” Butler, and Errol Barrow were all veterans of British military service in World Wars I and II.

Through the eyes of Wendell Christian and Twistleton Bertrand, we grasp the importance of such history in attaining a better understanding of the Caribbean’s role in world affairs.

The story of the Dominican soldier is woven into the wider tableau of period history and the West Indian soldier at war for the British Empire.

In a world of unintended consequences, as with many African American soldiers who became leaders for social justice, the exposure of these British West Indian soldiers to war, hastened their transformation into activists for political independence.

As did African American soldiers like legendary lawyer Charles Hamilton Houston who was an artillery Captain in World War I and NAACP leader Medgar Evers, who served gallantly in the US army during the invasion at Normandy, France, in World War II, many former British West Indian service men and women became leaders in the newly independent Caribbean nations.

Today, that tradition of service continues to be in dire need in all spheres of life and the authors hope that the torch can be passed to a new generation of nation builders and civic leaders who put country ahead of selfish gain.

West Indian Women at War: British Racism in World War II
Ben Bousquet and Colin Douglas

West Indian Women at War documents the hitherto unrecorded contribution made by West Indian women in the British forces during the Second World War. Based on original research and interviews, the book charts the obstacles placed in the way of the recruitment of black women by a very reluctant war office.

The documentary evidence of British racism uncovered by the authors makes compelling reading. But the women interviewed in this book are inspirational; they emerge as doughty fighters, as capable of taking on the war office as they were of joining the battle against Hitler.

http://www.lwbooks.co.uk/books/archive/westindian_women_war.html

“The Caribbean was a major fighting force during WW2. In Trinidad the oilfiels was a major concern for Germany. Many German Submarines striked at the Caribbean merchant ships in order to prevent fuel reaching the 8th British Army in Egypt. As the Royal West Indian Regiment was disbanded, Many West Indians served in the Royal Air Force, the Royal Canadian Air Force and was intergrated into the white British army, such as the 8th Army, the Lancaster Regiment and the Grenadier Guards. I knew of a couple of Trinidadians and Guyanese who were victims of Operation Market Garden. The Chaguaramas War Museum in Trinidad have all of your questions about this beautiful region.”

I’ll be visiting the museum on my next trip.

Thanks for those posts.

First I knew about any of it, and especially the oilfields. Never occurred to me that there were any there.

Thanks to the marvels of the electric internet and Mr Google, I’ve found

Trinidad’s petroleum was, moreover, a significant fraction of the British Empire’s total production as Britain fought World War II: 44 percent in 1938, rising to 65 percent by 1946.
http://www.everyculture.com/Middle-America-Caribbean/Trinidadians-and-Tobagonians-History-and-Cultural-Relations.html

Are those percentages accurate? Where else was oil produced in the Empire?

Mr Google also reveals that a 150 mile strip around Trinidad suffered the greatest U boat losses registered anywhere during the war and the area was the most profitable for U boats until mid-1943. http://books.google.com.au/books?id=xTKtPPEDTtQC&pg=PA81&lpg=PA81&dq=oilfields+trinidad+u+boat&source=web&ots=-x08GkLM-f&sig=9Grd62aFPVXilFdeeUfeAxNMvts&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=2&ct=result

Fascinating. I never had a clue about any of this.

Yes.At its nearest point, Trinidad is only four miles off the coast of venesuela. It has a similar shape to Wales, if one was to substitue Cardigan Bay for Gulf of Paria, where much of the oil was found (there are other fields now). The waters there are shallow yet calm as They’re fairly sheltered. I imagine that would account for much of the U-Boat kills. Could be wrong, though, because the U-boats could have stood-off in safer waters and waited for the tankers?

Trinidad also as a pitch lake, which supplies much of the pitch for roads etc. Nearby, is a small port where the ships come in to load up with pitch. As the port has a pier, it’s been named Brighton. :slight_smile:

It’s easy to underestimate the size of the Carribbean,for example, Jamaica is about a thousand miles from Trinidad.

I couldn’t verify those figures, but the oilfields around Trinidad remain vast. There has been some problems with Venesuela wanting to claim Trinidad (in much the same way as Argentina lays claim to the Falklands), on account of its oil wealth. Up until the eighties, Trinidad refined more oil than it produced, as one of the worlds largest oil refining countries. As the bottom dropped out of the oil market everything went a little awry, but as one can guage by the price of petrol at the pumps, Trindad is doing rather well, just now.

Map of Trinidad

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=TRINIDAD+%26+TOBAGO&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&resnum=1&ct=title

Carnival - sorry, off top, but one can’t speak of Trinidad without speaking of Carnival!

http://www.gotrinidadandtobago.com/home/home.php

You have just demonstrated that my geographical knowledge of that part of the world is deeply into the shithouse category, but nowhere as shithouse as Google Maps. Note Trinidad in the search box, then cop the list on the left! http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&rls=ig&q=trinidad&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl I’d hate to be using Google GPS to get to Trinidad.

You will be delighted to know that cricket knows where it is. http://www.mapsofworld.com/cricket/world-cup-2007/images/west-indies-map2.gif

EDIT Didn’t see your last post before posting this, as I was too busy slagging Google.

I had no idea that the West Indies went that far south.

Makes them practically South American. Like PK. EEK! :wink: :smiley:

I mean, can you imagine Brian Lara swigging vino from a goat skin on the pampas between overs? :wink:

It goes even farther. Check out guyana (formerly British Guiana)

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=map+of+guyana&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&resnum=1&ct=title

yet again, you have me pissing myself! :slight_smile:

Was there no end to British colonial expansion? :wink:

Seriously, there’s something nagging at the back of my head (where my mind used to be before the grog rendered it a void) about British Guiana and the Dutch and WWII. Or maybe something entirely different. ???

Well, at your age, that can happen, but you should ask your doctor about a prostrate check.

Sorry. A prostate check. Although that can be done while you’re prostrate, if you don’t mind taking it lying down. :smiley:

Had the Full-monty…she said that I’m extremely fit and that she wouldn’t mind test driving and shifting my gearstick anytime I fancy. :wink:

Big deal!

Sounds like you got fingered by a burnt-out lezzo NHS doctor who’d think being picked up by Chevan in his Lada for a night at the pub was worth getting dressed up for. :wink:

If yo is fit, D’Ali G would’ve ad yo on is site wif yo gostick test drivin somefing fancy. Boom Chaka! :slight_smile:

Not at all!..Just S.O.P. with me! :slight_smile:

I was going to ask if you were still up, but I doubt you remember what it is to be up and, therefore, wouldn’t get my meaning! :slight_smile:

some of my family was born in jamiaca my grandma was born in 1935 so my grandma was there during the war

"The JDF is directly descended from the British West Indies Regiment formed during the colonial era. The West Indies Regiment was used extensively by the British Empire in policing the empire from 1795 to 1926. Other units in the JDF heritage include the early colonial Jamaica Militia, the Kingston Infantry Volunteers of WWI and reorganised into the Jamaican Infantry Volunteers in WWII. The West Indies Regiment was reformed in 1958 as part of the West Indies Federation. The dissolution of the Federation resulted in the establishment of the JDF."http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Jamaican-Defence-Force

Answering The Empires Call [i]by Back in the Day
You are browsing in:
Archive List > Childhood and Evacuation

Contributed by Back in the Day
People in story: George Lee
Location of story: From Kingston Jamaica to Nottingham England
Background to story: Royal Air Force
Article ID: A8060780
Contributed on: 27 December 2005
This story was submitted to people’s war site by Cherstyna and Lisa Siliya of the Back in the Day project on behalf of Roy Lee and as been added to the site with his permission. The author fully understands the site’s terms and conditions.

The following extracts are taken from an interview, which was conducted by the above named persons on the 27th of October 2005.[/i] http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/80/a8060780.shtml