Canadian Maritime Command

Shows how much you’ve been thinking about it - you have four modern SSKs.

MODERN!..HA!..The Canadians bought and has 4 pieces of rusted junk posing as submarines that they bought from England cause England didn’t want the junk submarines:I quote:
CTV.ca News Staff
It’s been 10 years since Jean Chretien’s Liberal government doled out $900 million to the British in return for four used diesel powered submarines – today only one is operational, the others dry-docked and will cost taxpayers millions in repairs.

So, like I said, I don’t think Canada has a REAL submarine like the USA. All I can say is that we bought junk and we created a fire in the battery compartment the first day we bought the junk from England…shows how much we know about submarines…
…I recenlty read also in the paper that due to the high cost of petro, we can’t afford to keep our submarines moving around too much, to save money…ain’:roll:t that a hoot!

Uh huh. They were in service for about a year, and in storage for less than 5 before the Canadians bought them. Note that at the time they were built they were the most advanced non-nuclear subarines in the world, and the Canadians got them for less than half of what they cost to buld.

Furthermore, the RN got rid of them because with the end of the Cold War they didn’t require as many submarines. Given their global responsibilities - e.g. the requirement to deploy from the UK to the Falklands, Persian Gulf or Far East at the drop of a hat - they made the decision to concentrate only on SSNs, which cruise at several times the speed of an SSK.
If they had had the budget they would have kept both types in service, mainly because it was considered a good learning experience for a newly qualified CO straight out of the Perisher course to be in command of a Diesel boat for a while before moving on to SSNs. That is no longer possible, and they now act as 2IC on an SSN for their first appointment.

The fire on the Chicoutimi in which Lt(N) Chris Saunders died was caused by a combination of factors. Notably the Canadian regulations which allowed the submarine to run on the surface in rough weather with the hatches open, and the Canadian decision not to rectify a known design deficiency with the wiring before the boat got to Canada. It is notable that the RN had no such problems in the time they operated the submarines, which being straight out of the dockyard would have had more problems than when the Canadians bought them.

Finally, the bit about only one operational also appears to be tripe so far as I can tell. Windsor and Corner Brook are currently operational, while Victoria is in for routine maintenence (something ALL submarines need a lot of by the very nature of the environment they operate in) and Chicoutimi is still in overhaul for the fire damage.

Quote:“as we know the Americans will protect us anyways” Well, that depends on the tribute of Molsen’s and moosehead remaining at the present levels, AND, Canada’s keeping Bob and Doug McKenzie on your side of the border. :slight_smile: (now mind the topic Herr Herman,)

One of the reasons Canada bought those submarines was to monitor US (and Russian) encroachment on their territorial claims in the Arctic…

Are they seriously going to preven Mother Russia to conquer the Arctic with the couple of rust diesel british submarine:):mrgreen:?

This is just the confirmation of old proverb - the “stingy pays twice”:slight_smile:
If instead the British scrap they bought the newest russian project 677 “Lada” - they still would used it:)
http://gorod.tomsk.ru/index-1204443874.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lada_class_submarine
“ONLY for 200 $ millions” per each…
So Canada could get 4 newest submarines for 800 millions …
But you guyes better buy the British submarine- we don’t need the one more competitor in rush to Arctica;)

They can’t prevent it, but can make it an awful lot harder and more expensive - which should be enough to convince the Russians not to if they had been thinking about it.

Oh, and less of this “rusty” tripe. The Upholder class were the best diesel submarines on the planet when built, and right up there with a lot of nuclear submarines. Even today, the only diesel submarines clearly better for open-ocean work are the Australian Collins class. If they Canadian crews/COs are up to scratch (i.e. the captains have done Perisher and the crews are worked up and get enough training time) the four boats will be very, very dangerous indeed.

By whay way they can make it harder?

Oh, and less of this “rusty” tripe. The Upholder class were the best diesel submarines on the planet when built,.

And when was it build?
30 years ago?

P.S. Just do not seriously think pdf i wanna touch you proudness, the englanders know how to build the things right and effective…
This is all a joke , we just make fun with Herman, don’t we?

Chevan - no worries.

The Upholder class entered service in the early 1990s, which is why they got taken out again so quickly - when the Soviets suddenly weren’t a major enemy any more the RN no longer had need of a lot of submarines up around Scotland/Norway. That makes them about 15 years old, and a little under 10 years old when the Canadians bought them. Better still, they had had pretty undemanding lives before the Canadians bought them so in terms of hull fatigue, etc. they are effectively a lot newer. Another aspect is that submarine technology hasn’t advanced all that much since the end of the cold war simply because far less is being spent on it compared to during the cold war, so the difference between these and a brand new boat is less than between these and an early 1980s boat.

And as for what submarines can do to someone trying to take over your territory - depends if it’s peacetime or wartime. In peacetime they can track you without you ever knowing it, allowing other assets to get in position earlier and more effectively while defusing some potential political problems. In wartime they are the most effective sea-denial type of unit in existence. Without major and very modern ASW support nothing can expect to live inside it’s operating area.

Agree, but though…This right about the wearpon tehnoligies at all.
Don’t forget about how much the moder computers rised its ability to callculate. In this electronic field even 5 years is the serious period. So the last equipment always better then 10-15 yers old Beside the newest diesel submarine is building with the newest more cheap and effective technologies.The spare part are cheaper and more accessable.

In terms of electronics, the only thing that has advanced significantly is processing power. However, that is also one of the easiest things to upgrade with an off-the-shelf fix. Other things like sonars haven’t really advanced very much if at all, because nobody has been spending money on them.
Spare parts may or may not be a relevant point - the engines on the Upholders for instance are slightly modified railway diesel engines. As such they are still in everyday use for a lot of other things - possibly even still in production.

And to think that I was on double secret probation! See all the interesting and unique comments in this thread after my comment on Canadian Subs!..I am an invaluable member within this forum…
…although unrelated to Nagasaki, but thank you all for all the positive comments and thank you England for selling us those “state of the art”(yaun) submarines, that we don’t know how to use, and tend to ignite into flames burning crew members cause they are such great advanced subs:)…All I can say is, thank god the USA has the Atomic bomb and not Canada, cause if we did, we’d probably would have nuked our own soil by now!!!..Long live The USA that protects us!!The End.

The Canadian Forces are small and underfunded, although less so today than in recent memory due to the commitment to Afghanistan.

But the personnel of the Canadian Forces are top notch and actually very well paid…and used to doing more with less…

not bad one…:mrgreen:

Children crayoning on the wall is apt to cause interesting and unique comments. This does not mean it should be encouraged!

I’ve just suddenly had visions of Herman walking into an electricity substation, throwing buckets of seawater around and being surprised when he gets turned into a crispy critter.

Seawater contains electrolytes and hence conducts electricity quite well. And the installed electrical generating capacity of the class is ~6 MW. Mix the two and you’ll get an awfully big bang.

My bold.

RS slaps self on forehead.

Thinks: Bloody pdf27 had to go and mention a big bang in a Herman the Second thread! Stand by for nuke nonsense.

My bold.

RS slaps self on forehead in exasperation.

Thinks: Bloody pdf27 had to go and mention an awfully big bang in a Herman the Second thread! Stand by for nuke nonsense. :smiley:

Does it work with sex, also?