Charmy Downs RAF Station

My father served in the IXth USAAF, Troop Carrier Command, and was stationed at various air stations around England, including Charmy Downs, just north of Bath.
I’m visiting England for the first time this summer and would like to see Charmy Downs. I understand it is now a farm but the control tower and some other structures are still standing. Does anyone have information on visiting former air stations in England?
Thanks,
CarolynC

Most of them are now defunct so you shoudl be able to just rock up.

For any that are still in action, chances are you will just have to look in. You could try to ring them and arrange a visit, esp if they have any museums of their own (quite common on the older British bases).

Have you a full list of where you wish to go?

Charmy Down is a few miles from where I live. Judging from this web site you should be able to just turn up, park some where sensible and have a wander around with out any one bothering you.

http://www.controltowers.co.uk/C/Charmy_Down.htm

There are lots of abandoned RAF/USAAF bases in Southern England and the East of England. Nearly all have abandoned air raid shelters (quite dangerous as they are in a state of collpase) as well as a few defensive works/guard posts and often the old tower.

Although built on the cheap and in a hurry - and often abandoned in a hurry too at the end of the war - they are small pieces of history decaying to dust - go and have a look while you can. I think this one is to be converted to a Park and Ride bus site!

Thanks for the info. I was hoping to hear from someone who lived near there. I found directions to the site. I just didn’t want anyone to think we were just trudging through their property. We are going the end of this month and I’m definitely going to check it out.
If anyone has any suggestions on WWII sites to visit in the UK or France, they are welcome. I plan to see the Imperial War Museum and Churchill War Rooms in London and the secret wartime tunnels at Dover Castle. We are also going to Normandy, as well as touring WWI battlefields (Ypres Salient) in Belgium. We have limited time in Normandy so any recommendations on “must see” places/museums would be appreciated.
This is my first visit to Europe and, as you can tell, I’m trying to see as much as I can -
Carolyn

Hey CarolynC be sure to share some pictures with us when you get back:)

i used to live about 15mins from the base , you shouldnt have a problem going up and having a look , i have quite a few times.

I returned from my trip to England and found the Charmy Down airfield where my father was stationed. It was not easy to find and we were questioned by two different locals why we were there but when we explained that our father was stationed there, they were very nice and informative on the history of the airfield.
There was a group of trailers (caravans) there, and they explained that there has been a legal battle because gypsies have been living there illegally. I guess they don’t take too kindly to people hanging around and taking pictures but there was no one there while we were there.
I’ve attached two pictures (hope I did it right!) There were some other buildings and air raid shelters still there, although they were pretty deteriorated. It was a moving experience to see where our father was stationed.
We also visited the Churchill Museum and War Rooms and the Imperial War Museum in London, and the Secret WWII Tunnels in Dover (all wonderful places), as well as many other sites.
Carolyn

wow those are great. Thanks for sharing!