China Traffic Blocked

Hi,

Over the last few days there has been a huge number connections to our registration page. I assume these are all attempts to spam our forums, as the IPs are all from China and keep changing. Loads are typically under 5, but they’ve been around 170 whenever these attacks happen. Blocking individual IP blocks is ineffective, so I’ve decided to block China altogether. I know this isn’t an ideal solution and I really didn’t want to do that, but I see no other solution and I figured anybody in China who is not Chinese is probably using a VPN anyway (which would give them a non-chinese IP). I based it off this list: http://www.okean.com/antispam/china.html
Since there are over 2000 entries, the firewall is still processing the entries but should hopefully be done soon.

All done! Site’s really fast now. :slight_smile:

Zowie, that is fast. sadly, most traffic from Asia is just spammers of one sort or other. China though presents a real danger through their hacking industry, so I’m okay with your solution. No need to provide them with that sort of learning environment.

Btw this is what it looks like on a graph! First image shows yesterday and the second one shows how it starting around July 18th.
Load_1 = Avg. load in the last min
Load_5 = Avg. load in the last 5 mins.
Load_15 = Avg. load in the last 15 mins.

1.jpg2.jpg

It’s been almost a week and I think the added IP blocks on the firewall are doing the trick.