Chinese American Infantryman - US Army | Gallery

Chinese American Infantryman

An American soldier of Chinese ancestry practices with a Thompson. Unlike Japanese-Americans, Asians of most other nationalities were allowed to serve in integrated units alongside whites, and in particular those with Chinese heritage proved to be willing combatants in the war against Japan (for obvious reasons). This photo was likely taken in the early years of the war.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://ww2incolor.com/gallery/us-army/45545/chinese-american-infantryman

Interesting name on the half-track.

Anyway a Japanese-American battalion served on the Italian front.

@DVX Yes, but the Japanese were entirely segregated and commanded by white officers.

I once heard a story, told by a Japanese-American veteran, about his experiences during the war. He said that when they were getting ready to ship out, one of the (white) officers that was to accompany them looked over at the enlisted (Asian-American) men and said:

“If any one of you so much as thinks about running when we get out there, I’ll personally shoot him myself.”

One of the Japanese-Americans replied:
“Don’t worry. A true Japanese never runs.”

When they finally entered combat, this veteran who gave the account witnessed the very same officer being carried off the field, completely unharmed but apparently scared stiff, while his men ran past into the fighting.

This was recounted, if my sources are correct, in the Ken Burns documentary "The War."