Civic Duty, street cleaning in Iraq.

Just a few images of daily chores in Iraq. Cleaning up potential roadside hiding places.
EDIT: reloaded pics these should be larger…

We want larger pics. :slight_smile:

Mia Culpa! Mia Culpa!! I reloaded the pics,should be okay now.

No worry I can see the upload pictures bigger now. :wink:

Could the bloke in the left (from our view) hatch try to look a little more bored?

I can’t cope with the overwhelming excitement he shows. :wink:

Its probably all in a days work for them by now, Ha… but most likely he is using his communication headset, its part of the helmet, and is operated by the right hand. there is a module attached to the helmet, and the mike boom, and switching are part of it. Which makes the user appear to be stifling a yawn when operating it.

Thanks for that, tankgeezer. I thought he was just hamming it up for camera.

Just goes to show that what a picture seems to show mightn’t be what’s really happening. Not that the press ever gets things wrong, especially with military matters. :rolleyes:

Do you know if there is any military purpose to crushing bits of vehicles (wouldn’t make a lot of sense if they were suspected of hiding IED’s) or might this just be something staged for the photographer whose shadow looms large in the pix?

:Quote from original author: “I was there in 2003 with the 1st Armored Division, and it was our policy not to stop for anything unless we had a secure area. Of course, we had Bradleys, so it was a little easier to get people out of the way. When we were in HMMWV’s, traffic could be a b**ch. We would also try to clean up the streets so there were less places to hide stuff.”

I pasted the text from the pics, so you can read it in his own words, shoulda done that to begin with, Ha! Part of the text referres to a vid clip about hummer patrols in Iraq, not to stop or slow too much and become an easier target. (I tried to upload it, but the system wouldnt accept it, too large I guess).