Coconut from Guadalcanal?

Hi everyone,

I have only posted here once before but I have been lurking for quite awhile. I was wondering if someone can possibly shed some light on a family mystery.

My grandmother’s brother (my great uncle) fought in the pacific during the war. He died about 20 years ago and I never met him before he died.

A few years ago, my grandmother was moving out of her house. While we were helping her clean out her house, we came across a coconut with a painting on it, which I am assuming was from her brother. The coconut said “To miss… [my grandmothers name]” and then below that “Guadalcanal 1944.” The front of the coconut had a painting of a native woman with a skirt on swinging on a swing. For a coconut that is 65 years old, it is in excellent condition. The painting is still very vivid.

Here are some pictures:

I know this is a longshot, but can this help me find out anything about my great uncle? Does this coconut mean anything to anyone? I am assuming it was probably something that the native islanders probably sold to the US soldiers to make some extra money but it seems kind of strange that my great uncle would send something like that to his sister.

Lastly, to preserve it, is there any special way that I should store it?

Thanks in advance everyone!

We used to have a similar one my uncle, a Seabee, sent my grandmother from Guadalcanal.

Some souvenier item thought up by an interprising individual.
What is strange about it?
Some guys sent home skulls.

Great item and yes its a souvenir item , and as for its preservation just keep doing what has been done to it for the last 65 years , and try and keep it under some kind of UV protection from the sun . I have the same kind of item my Grandfather brought home too its from Apia Samoa 1942

Very cool to have those souveniers.

I have seen another coconut on the net that still had the postage stamps on it.G.I’s just slapped on the postage on whatever they wanted to ship and shipped it off.

Thanks for the help everyone! I really appreciate it.

I know this is a long shot, but is there any way that I can find out more information about my great uncle from this? Is there a list of units or something that were stationed on Guadalcanal in 1944 (I know it was a pretty large base so I am sure a large amount of soldiers passed through it).

Did your great uncle have children? If so they start there for info.That coconut can’t tell you anything, other that he was on Guadalcanal.Good luck…