Collecting WW2 Militaria

Hi guys, I’m new to the forum but not to militaria. I’ve been a collector for sometime and have recently launched my own militaria site for WW2 and Korean war pieces. Its called Last Stand Militaria. check it out.

http://www.laststandmilitaria.webs.com

Nice site - and good on you for dedicating it to your grandfather, great grandfather, and great uncle!

I have a question for you. Probably a silly question. A good American pal of mine insists that there were two versions of the M1 steel helmet in WW2. One for the US army, and a slightly different one for the USMC. He doesn’t mean the camo cover, or the liner - he says the shape of the actual steel is different. This pal of mine said the Marine version has a longer front lip

I think this is rubbish.

I have searched google about this, and have never ever found any mention of a US Marine version of the M1 helmet.

I just don’t think there was a differently shaped Marine version of the M1. Seeing as you are a self confessed "avid antique militaria collector as well as a huge military history buff ", you know if there was one?

Cheers,
Pete

Thanks for the kind words Pete. The M1 helmet during WWII pretty much remained the same. The Marines used the same helmet as the rest of the armed forces, only like you said, they wore camo covers on them. The M1 during vietnam however is shaped a little differently. The front section curves slightly upward to help increase the wearer’s visibility. As far as differences in during WWII, the main one would be front seam/rear seam and swivel bail/fixed bail. Front seam fixed bail would of been produced from 43 and back while rear seam swivel would of been 44 and on. Hope I answered your question.

Best,
Jason