Comments

sorry, :slight_smile: im only trying to do a good work in the site.

[quote=“Crab_to_be”]

Well said Erwin. Is there an award for ‘gentle stirring to amuse other site members’?[/quote]
excuse me Crab,what do you wanted to say?,sorry for my very poor english.

After Stoat had joined in with the “don’t care about rank and awards on the site” argument, you congratulated him on his promotion to Sergeant Major. I thought that was a well timed wind up comment. It made me smile.

I’m not sure how to explain stirring, winding up, etc without using other idiom. It’s more or less saying (or doing) something to provoke a reaction, but doesn’t imply any malicious intent. Alles klar?

[edited to fix my html incompetence]

[quote=“Crab_to_be”][quote=“Erwin Schätzer(argentina)”]
excuse me Crab,what do you wanted to say?,sorry for my very poor english

After Stoat had joined in with the “don’t care about rank and awards on the site” argument, you congratulated him on his promotion to Sergeant Major. I thought that was a well timed wind up comment. It made me smile.

I’m not sure how to explain stirring, winding up, etc without using other idiom. It’s more or less saying (or doing) something to provoke a reaction, but doesn’t imply any malicious intent. Alles klar?

:smiley: thanks

winding up = “jemand veräpeln” or “jemand aufziehen” auf Deutsch

(edited to avoid mixing languages!)

En Espanol Europeano:

Tomar la cabellera

es como hacer un chiste con alquien…
No se que es en Espanol Argentino.

Jan

gracias jan! :slight_smile:
it must be tomar el pelo in the argentinian spanish (the argentinian spanish is very different than the rest.

thanks again jan

just take it off and i pretend i didnt see it

Who, me?

EDIT: In fact, why don’t I put my other two up?

thats correct

Who, me?[/quote]

I don’t think Tubby can be punished for this. It’s not a picture of a ribbon from the site medal page, and as far as I know, one is entitled to add any pctures one likes to one’s signature, as long as it isn’t offensive, racist etc. It’s a classic subversive action though. I’ll be PMing Tubby for tips on subversion if a certain ID card bill gets through. That, and emigrating.

Did make me think though - if Tubby is entitled to wear the TELIC medal, and has actually been awarded this medal, then he is in a minority, even amongst TELIC veterans.

Who, me?[/quote]

I don’t think Tubby can be punished for this. It’s not a picture of a ribbon from the site medal page, and as far as I know, one is entitled to add any pctures one likes to one’s signature, as long as it isn’t offensive, racist etc. It’s a classic subversive action though. I’ll be PMing Tubby for tips on subversion if a certain ID card bill gets through. That, and emigrating.

Did make me think though - if Tubby is entitled to wear the TELIC medal, and has actually been awarded this medal, then he is in a minority, even amongst TELIC veterans.[/quote]

Thanks mate! I have only just got it - over two years after I got back

tubbyboy,please,you don´t want to have problem with the mods and the admins,do you want?.

remove that award from your signature

Who, me?[/quote]

Did make me think though - if Tubby is entitled to wear the TELIC medal, and has actually been awarded this medal, then he is in a minority, even amongst TELIC veterans.[/quote]

Thanks mate! I have only just got it - over two years after I got back[/quote]

No I dont think you should be punished for it because it is not a medal from the awards list. However I do see it as an attempt to undermine an enjoyalbe addition to the site. Many people have congratulated me on the idea. So bottom line I wont punish you but I do find it rather disrespectful.

If you earned “whatever that is” award it is in real life thats great. But this is just a simple forum. And I make a distinction between the two on that level. Just coz somebody was a Major in real life doesnt meant that they get to be a Major on this forum. I seriously doubt the US Army is going to make me a Major General just because I was on this forum. If they did its a pretty sads state of affairs.

So im not happy with what youve done Tubbyboy but im not going to punish you for it.

End of discussion.

“That award” is a genuine medal that I am entitled to wear.

I have not taken it from anywhere on the site.
I am not portraying it as a site medal.
I have made sure that it looks different to the site medals.
I am (justly) proud of this medal, why should I not be allowed to wear it with pride? If the rules change to not allowing the wearing of real medals I will remove it, until then I will continue to display it.

Maybe I am being a little obstreperous, but I posted the image as a joke at first and was immediately threatened with warnings etc.

In protest at this I am now going to post all my ribbons in the signature block!

Tubbyboy, this is Broadsword. Come in Tubbyboy.

And now the irony is in full swing. Admittedly, I have only Tubbyboy’s word on this, but my gut feeling is that he speaks the truth when he claims he is entitled to wear the TELIC medal.

Gen. Sandworm has made certain well explained threats against those who might post WW2inColor medal ribbons in their signature. This is a matter of record. However, there is nothing on this site that restricts one from attaching other images to one’s signature. The irony in this case is that a member posting a ribbon that he is entitled to wear in the real world is being commanded to desist from doing do so on this site by those who have not the entitlement to wear their site ribbons in the real world.

I am in two minds over this. The first is that we need a site constitution to clear up such matters - but only if the French and Dutch, amongst others, ratify it in a referendum. The second mind says that Tubby is posting his TELIC ribbon (why is TELIC in capitals when it’s a proper noun, not an acronym - except Tell Everyone Leave Is Cancelled etc?) purely to be subversive. It neither harms nor offends anyone. The harm test should be applied to pubic laws. The offense test is valid for places where membership is voluntary, such as this site. As such, there is no reason to ban it. Moreover, what would it say about this site if the mods / admins allow members to use the Nazi Swastika, but not ribbons from medals won in the liberation of a subjugated people?

It has to be said that I have far more trouble with non-military people making up medals and adding them to their sig (which is after all what the site medals basically are) than with genuine military people displaying ribbons for decorations which they have genuinely earned in real life.
If tubby hadn’t earned the Telic medal (or the other two) he should clearly not be allowed them - but as he apparently has, he should keep them in his sig.

For those of you who don’t know what I’m on about, Operation Telic was the British contribution to the invasion of Iraq, and those who were on it (and the subsequent occupation? not sure on that one - anyone?) are entitled to a campaign medal. Which is only just appearing!

I appreciate what you are saying, however, I initially posted the ribbon as a bit of a joke - not even in my signature block. I was immediately threatened with reprisals. I took umbrage at this and decided to go the whole hog.

I am proud of that medal in particular, even if I did not agree with the war in Iraq. BTW, if anyone is interested, the other two are Northern Ireland (30 days non consecutive service) and Queens Jubilee.

As a sop to those who are getting worked up, I have made it clear in my signature that they are not site medals.

Ho hum…

Absolutely correct, anyone involved in Telics 2 onwards gets the medal but no bar/rosette.

this guy has a big deffence

Now that’s a reasonable conclusion. I’m happy with it. Now, if only we could get Gen. Sandworm moderating the second reading of the ID card bill, the world would be rosy once more.