Comparative private soldier's pay.

A fairly mundane subject in the greater scheme of things, but something that I am curious about.

We read about resentment and envy amongst the allies in wartime Britain, with the US GIs having far more money than their British comrades.

And the stories of German soldiers having little or no money (along with rampant inflation). I seem to recall reading also that the Germans in occupied countries were often paid in pseudo-money rather than real cash, only to be spent at Military facilities.

I doubt the Soviet’s got any pay at all…

What do we know about private soldier’s pay in say, 1944? And going beyond that, would he be expected to pay for food, accomodation, replacement kit?

Hi Trooper, :slight_smile:

I have somewhere the full list of American GIs remunerations from
PFC to The top. I will dig it up and post this weekend.
What I know from the top of my head:

1. My fathers pay as Lance Corporal in 1944 - 8 British Army - II Polish Corps was 2 british pounds for decade/ten days. He also had a few shillings extra for being in his regiment standard team. Not much - 10 shillings, I think, to cover cost of tailor to fit uniform and special shoes.
    This was equal to all forces under British command.

2. PFC of US army was receiving $50 a month. Paratroopers had extra 25% extra (correct me if I’m wrong).

When my father come to Scotland from Italy in 1946 he bought second hand car in quite good shape for 8 pounds. So power of pound was quite different than today. :smiley:

More later…

Cheers,

Lancer44

From what I’ve heard.

RAF was the lowest paying…
RCAF was more then the RAF…
USAF was the highest paying…

Not sure where the others fit.