Computer problem - plz help!

I have a Toshiba Qosmio laptop with a Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-830S. Problem is that it reads cd’s and dvd’s just fine but wont burn them anymore. Ive burned dvd’s and cd’s on here in the past but its been awhile. Ive restored just about everything i can think of. Tried all types of different cd’s and dvd’s but nothing …any idea’s?

I’m pretty sure that most burners have different lasers for reading and writing (writing needs higher power and possibly a different colour). Are there any self-test programmes you can run on it?

I had a Matshita in my laptop and a few motnhs again it stopped reading cd or dvds. I bought a new one for it because I think it just not a very good brand, so my suggestion is that if it keeps giving problems buy a new one :wink: Hope it helps.

i have the same problem with my dvd drive, it only burns dvd, but it wouldnt even play or burn cds. I was force to buy a cheap cd burner.

Well that would make sense. I bought the computer in the US but Europe works on a different power system. My American friend here hasnt had a problem thou. However a couple of time I did get some kind of power calibration problem. So the best i can figure is that it is a hardware failure or for some reason the Laser just isnt getting enought power to burn. Not sure where to go from here. Ive tried using my roomate power cord as well but that didnt seem to work either.