confederate ancestors? [><]

any southerners in here? if so who are your confederate ancestors? recently ive begun to look through my ancestors military record an found his name was james t hailey served in the 38th va co k cascade rifles private he fought at gettysburg in picketts divison where he was wounded he went on to in over 24 engaments as well as surrendering at appomatox.

Not Southerners, but a long way more south than Southerners and with a distant connection.

http://www.worldnavalships.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3110

Well, no southerners, but thought it interesting nonetheless ancestor wise:

My Great-great Grandfather was in the 78th Pennsylvania Co. A. He was captured in October 1862 and died in a Richmond, VA hospital in November 1863.

His brother (Great-great Uncle?) was in the 40th Pennsylvania Regiment Infantry Co. E. He was wounded on December 13, 1862 during the Battle of Fredericksburg, and died from his wounds on January 3, 1863.

Yes, A Southerner here. My great-grandfather joined a North Carolina unit at age 16. His name is James B. Ofarrell, and he eventually wound up in the Stonewall Brigade. He wrote of his experiences, and one of the entries he made is that he saw the flash of the musketry that mortally wounded Gen. Stonewall Jackson at Chancellorsville. Obviously, this was at night, and Jackson, with some of his staff had conducted a recon of the situation, and was mistakenly shot by his own picketts as he returned to the Confederate lines. That was definitely a great loss to the Army of Northern Virginia and the Confederacy. J.E.B. Stuart did a great job of directing Jackson’s Corps during the rest of the campaign, but he had his own cavalry corps to take care of after that.

Pollard L. Mclendon, Private Company B, 57th Georgia Inf Regiment(aka Barkaloo’s Rifles) My GG Grandfather. Fought at Champion’s Hill during Vburg Campaign. Family history had claimed he was captured at that place but recent research proves he survived, fought at the Big Black and finally surrendered when Vicksburg fell. He took the oath and made his way home. Staying for one month his unit was reformed with other released prisoners from his regiment and stood garrison duty at Savannah. They joined the Army of Tennessee sometime during the Atlanta Campaign finally making that long walk to Franklin. He attained the rank of Company Sargeant before Hood’s disastrous assault. Amazingly he survived the war without injury or sickness.

I found a newspaper article regarding Pollard McLendon from the Dublin Post April 16 1879 entitled “A Savage Attempt at Murder”. The article and family oral history provide an interesting story. I will paraphrase.

A certain Mr. Yates took a fancy to Alpha <my g grandmother> one of Pollard’s daughters. The 2 men had several confrontations as Pollard thought Yates to be a scalawag. On a Tuesday night Pollard walked to his front gate smoking his pipe as was his habit after supper. His back to the gate he heard a gun cocking and turned his head to see Yates pointing a double 12 in his direction. Before he could move Yates pulled one trigger. Pollard cried aloud “Oh Lord” and his wife and children ran to his assistance. The family summoned 2 doctors who found the wounds were not fatal. The newspaper describes 10 buckshot wounds in the right hip and both thighs. Alpha was my great grandmother(she was 19 at the time). She lived until 1959 and told the story to me many times. Pollard was hit in both upper thighs but 7 of the pellets were imbedded in his right butt cheek. Pollard was embarrassed by the incident and carried a pistol with him the rest of his life. He swore to kill Yates on sight. Fortunately for Yates he was never seen in Laurens County again.