Continental life

I quite enjoy being in wild places where one can see the landscape, be it desert or prairie, mountain summits or jungle canopy, rolling away into the distance. That sense of being far from civilization and the excitement of exploring wild places. However, when I’ve finished with that I always feel drawn home, back to England, where no place is further than fifty miles from the sea, which I can reach in two to three hours on my bicycle.

I can’t imagine what it must be like living hundreds of miles from the sea on a permanent basis. I was wondering how those that do live far from the sea or ocean feel about it, or is it that they are so accustomed to it, that they don’t pay it any thought?

Here Stateside, The land is so vast, and different,that many people will never touch the sea, nor ever actually look upon a large body of water. They may watch it on tv, in movies etc, but never get to know it. Most of them are fine with that, and would be uncomfortable too near to the sea, let alone actually go out upon it.
In my area, there is no sea, but there is Lake Michigan, by rights an inland sea, some 100 miles across, and about 400 miles long, and drops to depths of more than 1000 ft. in places. It is considered to be more dangerous than the ocean at times, and is littered with ship wrecks.(about 10,000) I personally would feel strange not being near water because of it.

That’s interesting. I had been thinking of the Great Lakes. On one of my trips to Chicago I was walking about the waterfront by the marina which is near to the Drake Hotel (if you know it?). It was quite choppy that day, and the lifeguards were not allowing boats to leave the marina.

One of the things I observed was the way the water seemed to rebound from the seawall (for want of a better description). Britain has seawalls along parts of its coastline, but the effect was different. The lake water had no place to go, so it merely went back on itself, creating steep troughs which were rather compact and dangerous looking. Here, the current usually creates an undertow so the effect is more cyclical, with much longer wavelength than I observed on Michigan. Considering that wave action, I can imagine how true your comments about ship losses are.

Another thing was that there was no foam. Presumably the water is fresh water i.e. no brine? I suppose that would account for it and also for the lack of the smell of the sea, which is actually caused by rotting seaweed.

I was also wondering whether the lake has an effect on the local climate, producing mild winters and cooler summers as in Britain, but I expect not as the currents around the British coast are South Westerly which originate in the Caribbean bringing warmer air and, of course, rain. :slight_smile:

Perhaps one of our sciency chaps can explain it better.

The foaming is actually from seaweeds as well - if you look on an ice cream container you’ll see “alginates” or similar as an ingredient. They’re a seaweed extract used to help the ice cream foam up and get the air into it so it isn’t rock solid.

When i fly in Magadan ( russian far est, Ohotsk sea coast) i saw a thousands miles of tundras and taiga from porthole. This is a real wild place , literally…
There is no roads at all (use the trails to move) and the nearest villages of locals can be on distance 500-700 km from each others.
The locals use the sleds kinda Amerian eskimos from Alaska, but here in Kolima the distances seems much scary. If you are enough crazy to travel at the deep Taiga - you will be awarded by the amazing views of local nature , that initialy seems hostitle for the any allien.
But this is really , realy wonderful thing.
I was a 12 years kid when we flew to there, but i never could forget the Taiga.
This is something really wonderful for me, southern man…
Especially the view of their mountains and lakes.

It sounds wonderful, Chevan. I love wilderness and the impresson of infinity, even though all is finite. It would be good to spend, say, a year there and experience the difference in the seasons. But I would want to return home at some point.

I remeber once watching a couple of Canadians, on TV, following in the footsteps of their grandfathers who had joined the Yukon goldrush. They followed the same route, rafting much of the way. When winter closed in and the river froze, they dismantled the raft and built a lodge to live in until the thaw came. The stuff of adventure.

The vastness of Russia fascinates me. I seem to recall my geography lessons as a child and, if I remember correctly, there were eleven time-zones accross the Soviet Union. I expect that Russia is one or two less than that, but even nine time-zones would be immense.

Thank you for that. Is it the effect of the brine on the seaweed, or is it the biochemistry of the plant itself which causes it?

It’s some chemical in the seaweed which is IIRC released when it dies, but I don’t know anything beyond that. Wiki link