Cossacks (sp?)

I have questioned about something I read on another forum but since it more about Russia then Germany I thought it better fit here. The thread reffered to the russians raping women in Berlin and the article it referenced mentioned the Cossacks marching into Berlin. This morning I was watching a program on the settlement of Siberia and it spoke a lot of the Cossack Army. It said that the Cossacks were dedicated to the Tsar and when he fell the Cossacks were suddenly out of favor. They joined the counter revolution and were virtually wiped out. At the same time the new communist leaders (Lenin) wanted to basically wipe the memory of the Cossacks out in order stop any further sentiments of historic pride that would go against the Cummunist agenda. This was all prior to WWII. So my question is, if anyone knows, was there another army that was known as the Cossacks or did the name take on the meaning of a unit from a particular geographic location (such as Siberia) with out any real relation to the original Cossacks?

The recruiting of Cossacks for the fight against the Soviets was patronized by the Cossack National Movement of Liberation, whose aim was the rebuilding of an independent Cossack state. In the summer of 1943, the 1st Cossack Division was formed under the command of General von Pannwitz. It had six cavalry regiments. Shortly afterwards the division was expanded into the XVth SS Cossack Cavalry Corps, which numbered some 50,000 men. Further, two Cossack brigades and 12 Cossack reserve regiments were formed, and a number of smaller units were attached to German formations. In all, Cossack troops on the German side numbered about 250,000 men.

Quoted from http://www.feldgrau.com/rvol.html

Also check here: http://members.tripod.com/~marcin_w/index-3.html

Funny I posted that thread

Thank you for the information. If this was already discussed I apologize, I was unable to find the thread.

My emboldment.

Now, here is the thread started by SS-Totenkopfverbande

I don’t see any Cossack in the mentioned thread! :smiley:

As for the article, the sole reference is

[…]Cossack cavalrymen on shaggy mounts[…]

Anybody feel free to add more information about Cossacks.

In the article it was talking about the Russians advancing on into Germay

“The Soviet armies advancing into East Prussia in January 1945, in huge, long columns, were an extraordinary mixture of modern and medieval: tank troops in padded black helmets, Cossack cavalrymen on shaggy mounts with loot strapped to the saddle, lend-lease Studebakers and Dodges towing light field guns, and then a second echelon in horse-drawn carts.”

Underline added

That is what I was wondering about. Cossacks fighting for the Russian Army. I didn’t want to bring it up in the other thread because that thread was about atrocities commited against the Germans and I felt this was a different topic.

Found this in a bief article about the history of the Cossacks. It seems it is easy to find information about those that fought with Germany but the ones that remained with Russia are harder to locate.

“During the civil war in Russia, following the Revolution of 1917, the majority of the cossacks fought against the Red armies. Most cossacks left the Ukraine and Russia for the United States, Canada,and other foreign countries. During WWII Cossacks were again, as they did during the Civil War, fighting on both sides. Some of the Cossacks formed cavalry units and supported the Germans, sincerely believing that the German mission in the war against the Soviet Union was to free the people of Russia from Stalin’s tyranny. Others courageously fought against the nazis with the Red/Soviet Army, considering that the war was first of all a war against Russia and the people living there. It was a tough choice - to pick sides in a fight between Hitler and Stalin. The Cossacks who fought on the Soviet side never got their liberties and special status back. And those who supported the Germans, in 1945 tried to surrender to allies instead of the Soviet Army, knowing that otherwise they would be sent to Siberian Gulags by Stalin. Unfortunately, Cossacks were sordidly betrayed by the allies who didn’t hold their promises not to give POW Cossacks to Stalin. Most of the Cossacks who were against their will returned to the Soviet Union died in Siberian camps.”

http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Marina/6150/cos.html

It seems, that clueless author of the article about “Cossack march into Berlin”, is calling cavalry “Cossack” for no apparent reason.

I suggest you to read something about cossacks history, you will be surprised. First of all - they should be called not “russian”, but rather “ukrainian”, since they are originated from Ukraine. And of course where were no special “cossack” units in Red Army, since it would mean a military unit formed of people living on particular territory, joined with ideas and traditions of Tzar Russia (totally unacceptable!). People who babble about cossacks in Red Army have no idea about USSR and Red Army at all.

edit: Where is an explanation for calling cavalry “cossacks” though. Many of them volunteered into cavalry and formed whole cavalry divisions in 1942. 4th Kuban and 5th Don Guards Cavalry corps, were after all officially named “Cossacks Guards Cavalry corps” for their remarkable achievments. All Red Army cavalry corps were dismissed by the end of 1945.

Thanks for the clarification iBelt, very informative. Can you recommend anywhere that I can get more information.

Thank you for the information, iBelt. Can you reccomend a reputable history of the Cossacks? eversince seeing the documentary I have been extremely interested in learning more.

Вы (I hope that is right).

US view about Red Army cavalry (cossacks included):
http://www.lonesentry.com/articles/cavalry/

Unfortunately I can hardly suggest anything for reading on the net. My knowledge on this topic is based on several books of russian authors, and those books are not directly related to cossacks or cavalry, instead they describe overall tactics and strategy of Red Army, usage of cavalry in the early period of the war, and so on. Besides, since my native language is russian, I have never been interested in looking for sources other than in russian language anyway. :frowning:

Cossacks are very common around here, at least those, who just call themselves “cossacks” (I am not sure how many people really have any right to call themselves like that, but still…). At the times of USSR they weren’t that popular, at least not on official level, however they are always very proud of themselves and pretend to be some kind of tradition keepers or something. If you try to google for information about cossacks in russian language, you will find plenty of links with info about modern cossacks organisations and very little historical facts. I guess the situation with english sources is even worse.

The link, provided by Dani, is very good reading. I must mention what ‘A Tchanka machine gun cart’ should be called ‘Tachanka’ though.