Cut and paste

An awful trend has restarted of people cutting and pasting without acknowledging sources.

Please, if it is not your own work, post a short excerpt (preferably as a quote) and a link to the original. interested people can then follow the link to read the whole thing, rather than cluttering up this forum with yards of cut and paste.

Example: http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4813

Another thing which annoys me is the scanning of whole books as jpg files and to upload them here, without any comment of the poster.
I accept if somebody quotes from a book to make a point or uses an illustration, provided he supplies the source, but I think simply scanning large passages of books to post them on the net is a serious violation of the copyright. Also, these huge scans take ages to load.

Jan

Well they can be helpful but all books should be properly sited. This is something we havent enforced for awhile and need to get on it again. If you are not getting the picture from an internet site…its probably safe to say its not in the public domain.

Further note: cut and paste is neither big, nor clever. It is, however, tedious and boring. More has just appeared here: http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4911

If the material is being used to further discussion, then it is safe in terms of copyright because it falls under the “fair use” act. Now, the laws are not the same in every country, so I’ll have to double check this.

Nonetheless, just make sure people at least cite the name of the book, author, etc so if someone wants more information about the book, they can do their own research and buy a copy.

Lot of historical news pictures never made it on the internet. If a news picture is from WW2, it is most likely that it is public domain, even though it hasn’t been published on the internet yet.
But copying whole chapters from modern books without a comment or source is a different issue.

Jan

Agree on this one! A few pages from a book that is properly cited … really I dont think most authors will care. Probably help promote the book. However a whole chapters might piss them off and clogs things up here.