D-Day Anniversary

Tribune wire reports

10:01 AM CDT, June 6, 2008

COLLEVILLE-SUR-MER, France-- The Battle of Normandy, which started with history’s most powerful coastal invasion force here 64 years ago Friday, is written in the white marble headstones of the American cemetery.

Names of soldiers – including 112 South Carolinians – their units, dates they died, and the American states from which they came, are etched into the smooth stones.

The dates and units track the progress of the three-month World War II campaign to drive the Germans from coastal France.

Today, ranks of crosses and Stars of David glisten even on the frequent cloudy days of northern Europe. Visitors look down on Omaha Beach, one of the landing points for invasion troops.

Located high on a bluff overlooking the English Channel, the cemetery has the graves of 9,387 soldiers, sailors and airmen who died to free Europe of Nazi domination. An additional 1,557 whose bodies were never recovered are listed on a wall enclosing the Garden of the Missing.

Here are the names, and in some cases the remains, of 112 men from South Carolina. Five died on June 6, 1944, the first day of the bloody Battle of Normandy. Others fell in the days and weeks of battle that followed.

Many who fought in that battle survived to receive accolades from their friends, children and grandchildren in the six decades since the landing. But the 112 – among 1,641 of South Carolina’s World War II casualties buried permanently in American cemeteries in Europe – never experienced that tribute.

Buried here are three of the five South Carolinians killed on the first day of battle after they parachuted into the night over Normandy with the 82nd Airborne Division.

John Lloyd Johnson Jr., of Florence, was a sergeant in the 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment. His brother, W.W. Johnson, of West Columbia, visited his grave at Normandy for the first time on Memorial Day last year.

“It affected me more than I expected that it would,” he said. “I was 15 when he died. He was my older brother, and he was my hero.”

Like so many other families who lost young men on the beaches and in the hedgerows of Normandy, the Johnsons think about what John Lloyd Johnson gave up. They remember him at special times like marriages, the birth of children – even while playing a round of golf.

Many of those who died left behind not only family, but also girlfriends and fiancees who didn’t let go of their connections easily.

“He was engaged to Jean Hill,” Johnson said of his brother. “Later, she came and talked to my mama when she was about to get married.”

Last year, Johnson was accompanied to Normandy by his son Carson, who was born many years after his Uncle John died.

Lexington attorney Wes Johnson, another of the dead paratrooper’s nephews, aims to take his children there when they are old enough to understand their great-uncle’s sacrifice.

But details of his uncle’s death remain lost in the chaos of the invasion.

“I don’t think there’s any way we’ll ever know exactly how he died,” Wes Johnson said.

All five are buried beneath white crosses in the 172-acre cemetery, given by the people of France and maintained by the American Battle Monuments Commission. After World War II, 14 American cemeteries were established across Europe for the war dead, joining eight cemeteries that contain the remains of Americans who died in World War I.

Following World War II, 39 percent of the war dead of the European theater were buried in Europe, while 61 percent were returned home for reburial at their families’ request.

But many who died in the days that followed the landing are still listed as missing in action – their remains never recovered.

They include Rupert E. Koon, of Pomaria in Newberry County. He was a technical sergeant in the 3422nd Ordnance Automotive Maintenance Company of the U.S. Army.

The support group was on a supply ship carrying ammunition that was hit by a German torpedo, said his brother, Eric C. Koon, who still lives in Pomaria.

“We didn’t know he was in the D-Day invasion until we received a telegram saying he had been killed,” said Koon, who was 15 when his 24-year-old brother died.

His brother and many more on LST 314 were never recovered because of the tremendous blast from the ammunition it was carrying.

“I’m sure the whole thing just disintegrated,” he said.

Men from all the military services engaged the Germans on D-Day, including William Crapps, of Leesville, the 20-year-old pilot of an A-26 bomber.

His plane and others attacked German submarine bases near Cherbourg, France, aiming to keep the submarines from attacking Allied ships crisscrossing the channel with troops and supplies.

Crapps, who now lives in Saluda County, said his plane was so overloaded with bombs he ran short of fuel on his return to England and had to land at a Royal Air Force Base on the coast.

He lost many friends during the battle for Normandy. In the course of the war, one-third of the crews in his unit were lost.

“I’m no hero,” he said this week, reflecting upon his role in the D-Day invasion.

“The heroes are buried under those white crosses.”

Copyright © 2008, Chicago Tribune

I hope all will remember today is the 6 th of june which is when D-day took place and we take a minute of slience for those that lost there lives on omaha and utah beaches .

Well, we should also keep in mind those who fought/died on Gold, Sword, and Juno. Also, we should remember the airborne units who participated in the same battle.

As well as the pilots and seamen lost.

HI
The Royal Winnipeg Rifles have a short service at the REGT. Memorial to remember the 58 members who were murdered by the 12 SS June 8/9 1944 in and around Putot -en-Bessin and Chateau d’ Audrieu Normandy and those who gave thier lives in the Second World War.
Cheers

Do not forget the major deaths on Omaha beach, many died to help make Europe free

I agree. I started a thread in the General WWII forum because not only Americans died that day. Although, we did take the worst of it at “poor bloody Omaha”…

Brits, Canadians, Free soldiers of the occupied countries including France, Germans, Poles, Russians and even Koreans were killed on that day in addition to many nationalities that cannot be discerned.

May they all RIP…

Merging…

dday34.jpg

one of the most annoying things i find about history is that although events may be ceebrated but the human side of it isnt. D Day has just passed and did anyone ever mention the only VC winner from D Day CSM Stan Hollis. I bet no one did. Why are our heroes forgotten

Well, you did. You could always provide the backstory…

W O II Stanley E Hollis, VC
The words below are taken directly from Roger Chapman’s book, “Beyond Their Duty”. However, an extremely interesting account of Stanley Hollis was provided by the Sun Newspaper on 6 May 2004, and this can be selected as an additional source of information on Stanley Hollis’ bravery.

During the assault on the beaches and the Mont Fleury battery, CSM Hollis’s Company Commander noticed that two of the pill boxes had been by-passed and went with CSM Hollis to see that they were clear. When they were 20 yards from the pill box, a machine gun opened fire from the slit. CSM Hollis instantly rushed straight at the pill box, firing his Sten gun. He jumped on top of the pill box, recharged the magazine, threw a grenade in through the door, fired his Sten gun into the box, - killing two Germans and making the remainder prisoners.
He then cleared several Germans from a neighbouring trench. By this action he undoubtedly saved his Company from being fired on heavily from the rear, and enabled them to open the main beach exit.
Later in the same day in the village of Crepon, the Company encountered a field gun and crew armed with Spandaus at 100 yards range. CSM Hollis was put in command of a party to cover an attack on the gun. Hollis pushed right forward to engage the gun with a PIAT from a house at 50 yards range. He was observed by a sniper who fired and grazed his right cheek and at the same moment the gun swung round and fired at point blank range into the house. To avoid the falling masonry CSM Hollis moved his party to an alternative position. Two of the enemy gun crew had, by this time, been killed and the gun was destroyed shortly afterwards. He later found that two of his men had stayed behind in the house and immediately volunteered to get them out. In full view of the enemy, who were continually firing at him, he went forward alone using a Bren gun to distract their attention from the other men. Under cover of his diversion, the two men were able to get back. Wherever fighting was heaviest CSM Hollis appeared, and in the course of a magnificent day’s work he displayed the utmost gallantry and on two separate occasions his courage and initiative prevented the enemy from holding up the advance at critical stages.
It was largely through his heroism and resource that the Company’s objectives were gained and casualties were not heavier. By his own bravery he saved the lives of many of his men.

<shrugs> Nobody mentioned the Battle of Messines Ridge either, that was 91 years ago yesterday. There was at least one VC awarded for actions on or about that day (Pte John Carroll of the AIF).
By itself it was a larger battle than D-Day (around 250,000 soldiers involved in a 12 hour battle) and was a curtain raiser to Third Ypres, one of the handful of massive battles which destroyed the main strength of the German Army (something the US/UK/etc. operations in France/Germany manifestly failed to do in WW2). Yet it’s virtually forgotten in comparison, despite being (alongside Vimy Ridge and Amiens) one of the best set-piece battles of the war.

If you’re going to whinge about forgotten heroes then do something to remember them - preferably all of them - or even better do something for those still about. There are plenty of current charities who are badly in need of help.

God Bless those brave souls who helped liberate and bring the eventual surrender of Germany.

the point i am making is that Britain that once was Great has forgotten to remember our heroes. I mentioned Stan Hollis as it was D Day. I am sure there are many others as you mentioned pdf27, who have been forgotten but apparently this is our countrys’ want

Again, D-Day is nothing particularly special - there has only been one year in the twentieth century when no British troops have been killed by enemy action on ops, and we lost another 3 out in Afghanistan yesterday. If we were continually “remembering” them we would do nothing else, and that isn’t productive.
So far as I’m concerned, provided that those injured (mentally and physically) by war are well cared for (and this is where BLESMA, Combat Stress and the like come in) and the dependendts left behind are well cared for our obligations to past soldiers are fulfilled. Plus fulfilling the military covenant for current troops (something which hasn’t been done for years) of course.

I cannot believe that pdf27 doesnt see D Day is important - I take it you had too much real ale inside you when you wrote that. I dont suppose you think Dunkirk was important either. If our forebears has thought that I wonder what your feelings would be if they hadnt fought for their country

1. Stone sober when I wrote that.
  2. In the grand scheme of things, it wasn’t terribly important - the troops who got out were useful as cadre for the British Army of 1942-43, but they weren’t a useful fighting force before that. Even then they didn’t do anything really important for the rest of the war.
  3. And what other wars does that apply to? I’m currently in the (Territorial) Army, have a large number of friends who have done either Iraq or Afghanistan (including one in Helmand right now and another off out there in August). So far as I’m concerned from what I’ve seen so far you’re just another one of those Kipling ripped the pish out of in Tommy

no i’m just an ordinary guy who likes reading about history but I want the history to be correct. The point I have tried to make is that our writers, the likes of max hastings leaves out the guy who has become a hero, has been awarded a vc or any other medal and isnt recognised for that fact. My fathers best mate was awarded the VC during the second world war and died for his efforts. Please tell his widow that it wasnt that important. Good luck to your friends in the army by the way

To all the allied forces, lest we forget.

Hi all,

I agree, let us remember! Here’s some links I found when I posted a blog entry for the day! Hope everyone hasn’t seen them yet:

Notes from Normandy (PDF)

We Defended Normandy

(Following Photo Sourced from Nara)

This may belong in the German section of the forums or it may be a dupe, please forgive if it is, but over at the Naval Historical site I was doing blog research and ran across an interview titled:

“…Generalleutnant [Lieutenant General] Rudolf Schmetzer concerning the construction of German defenses in Normandy, France…”

Here’s the link if you are interested:

http://www.history.navy.mil/library/online/normandy_schmetzer.htm

slow server today…