Das Boot

One of the Best!

Germans speaking german, dirty, realistic movie, not you average warmovie, unique combination of WWII and a synthesizer soundtrack and much more…

Got 3 editions by now, that shows what I think of this movie:

The original Extended version in the Columbia Classics Collection [2004]:
5 hours [281 min] mini-serie [with booklets and pictures]

The Director’s Cut [1997]:
216 min.

The Original Extended version as 2-disc deluxe edition [2006]:
5 hours [281min] mini-serie [without booklets/pictures]

still looking for other editions so plz let me know if you know/see one!

I have a dear friend who was in the US Submarine Service and served during World War II. He is the one who told us to go see this movie.

He told us there is NO more realistic submarine movie and that it was a strong crew that served on a German Sub.

One of the best there is,…

not to forget it is a quite old movie. I also like it very much.

maybe it is also because I have slight problems with (many, not all) american-made films that have too much heroism and show near almighty us soldiers killing the whole wehrmacht with just one shot. :wink:

jens

its an extremely good movie

I have a copy of it in my DVD library. the brits also made a movie about the corvettes that hunted U boats. it was call the cruel sea. here:
[the cruel sea](the cruel sea)

One of the best…

I would like to see the 5-hour-version :slight_smile:

_

Been a while since I’ve seen it. Might have to get a copy…

there is more than 1 version. I have one copy on an old VCR tape. its un-edited with bad language and not as many extra scenes as the 'editors cut". this version has more scenes and no harsh language. perhaps G rated. the older version I have is called 'the boat". the english version. Das Boot is defalut in German.

Wasn’t it a German TV show like “Band of Brothers”??

yes. but it was a movie instead.

No in the original it was a 4 part TV series.

It was on last night in 5 parts on the Military Channel, but it started at 12 midnight and I just couldn’t watch it.