Day of Defeat Source

Day of Defeat Source comes out tomorrow (26/9/05) at 1300 EST (15:00 CEN, 1600 EST, 2100 GMT). I’ve already preloaded and preordered it. Anyone else going to get it?

Thanks for the info, I will be trying it out.

I may get it. I think that if you bought HL2 you should get it for free. I hate having to pay for stuff like this and expansions and whatnot. I wish it was all free in patches. I may try it out though. Hate to get it then not like it.

DoD:S is kind of a big let down. Valve “left out” the entire British team, the Grease gun, the Fallschirmjaegergewehr 42, MG34, Gewehr 43. They messed around a lot with the classes, you now have to get a Bazooka to get the M1 Carbine. They did add the C96 M712, and it is quite worth the game itself. They messed with the damage properties of the K98k and the sniper rifles. The Luger was replaced by the Walther P-38 but the 1911A1 is still there (you have to be either Assault, Sniper or Machine Gunner to get a pistol), they also shoot faster and do more damage. They put the RPM of the MP40 way too fast, about 800-RPM. The knife the Americans use is the Model 1918 Trench knife, so that’s historically inaccurate. They removed the “butt smack” feature from the Garand and replaced it with really useless iron sights. The only guns that have a second melee option are the Thompson and the MP40 (you take your left hand and punch somebody, it takes at least 3 to the head to kill them) the officers don’t even receive knives. Bazookas and Panzerschreks deal much more damage. The feature that allows you to put your bipod down on nearly anything with a ledge. The BAR no longer has a bipod, it (and the Sturmgewehr) have the alternate fire of semi-automatic. The maps have been simplified a lot as well.

I like DoD: Source, its a great improvement over the regular one. Although I must agree that it sucked that some stuff was left out. I really dont mind though. Most WWII games mess up in something. For example, in Call of Duty, why does the K98 sniper rifle sound like really loud, when the unscoped K98 sounds regular? Does the scope on the rifle give the gun extra power? Just to let you know, games will try to be as acurate as they can, and in some cases they do a good job. However, there will always be something in the game that isnt, and in some cases thats a good thing. It reminds you that even though its a WWII based game, it is still just a game.

Mate I got HL2 and its not free.

I always wondered about that :smiley:

My favorite weird thing has to be on Counter Strike with the Steyr AUG and the SIG 552. Apparently zooming in with the scope make the bolt heavier, thus reducing the rate of fire.

Even though they got a lot of stuff wrong, it’s still a pretty good game. As a matter of fact it is the only game I play at the moment…

I always wondered about that :smiley:

My favorite weird thing has to be on Counter Strike with the Steyr AUG and the SIG 552. Apparently zooming in with the scope make the bolt heavier, thus reducing the rate of fire.

Even though they got a lot of stuff wrong, it’s still a pretty good game. As a matter of fact it is the only game I play at the moment…[/quote]

Yea, those games will always be awesome to play. Another thing you may not know about CSS, is that the Glock pistol in real life can potentially be fully automatic. The makers for CSS didnt make it fully automatic in the game for one reason…people wouldnt buy weapons at all. It would have ruined the balance of the game, since the Glock would have been full-auto, there would be no need to buy an SMG. So sometimes changes like that are for the better…although it takes the realism away.

this game is horrible.

the performance is crap also.

if ur looking for dod but on source engine, dont bother.

if ur looking for a ww2 themed css then ull like it.

Players simply havent gravitated to Dod-source and for the most part prefer the old Dod-1.3 version. I have played both and feel the same way, the new source version is too much of a spray and pray arcade game, no skill just keep shooting kinda thing and the weapons accuracy is horribly poor. In my opinion Dod-source offers great graphics and real looking environments but very little in terms of game play and feel. I would recomend staying with Dod-1.3 or looking elsewhere. For christmas i was given a copy of CODII, i havent had time to get into yet but i hear its much better than Dod-source.

One more note: Dod-source has alot of bugs and causes some computers to routinely lock up or crash altogether. Valve says they are working on it, but for me this hasnt changed at all, as a matter of fact on Christmas Day i tried to show my brother in law the Dodsource game and it crashed after playing for 5 minutes. It was embarrassing to say the least. I would not recomend spending money on this game. IMHO