Dead baby - Dramatic Photos | Gallery

Dead baby

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://ww2incolor.com/gallery/dramatic-photos/36042/dead-baby

Again, if my memory serves me right, the baby isn’t dead, it was found alive by this marine. This would be Okinawa if my memory serves me right.

"WOUNDED, DYING INFANT FOUND BY AMERICAN SOLDIERS IN SAIPAN MOUNTAINS

June, 1944

Abandoned infant is tenderly lifted up by the American soldier who found it lying wedged head down in the earth. Naked and diseased, the baby was sent straight on to a front-line hospital for care.

[photographer] W. Eugene Smith participated in 13 island invasions in the Pacific as a photographer for LIFE magazine before he was severely wounded on Okinawa by enemy mortar fire. Smith’s original caption was revised by the censor because it was too bitter. One of the most emotionally engaged photographers documenting the war, Smith wrote with the cynicism of an experienced combat veteran: A baby was found with its head under a rock. Its head was lopsided and its eyes were masses of pus. Unfortunately, it was alive. We hoped that it would die.

(-taken from website of eastmanhouse.org)