Defeat into Victory by Field Marshal Sir William Slim

This is Slim’s account of his war in Burma. Starting from the initial defeats resulting in the loss of Burma to the Japanese, Slim describes his role in the eventual defeat of the Japanese.

“Of all the world’s great records of war and military adventure, this story must surely take its place among the greatest. It is told with a wealth of human understanding, and a revelation of the indomitable spirit of the fighting man that can seldom have been equalled - let alone surpassed - in military history.” - Maj.-Gen. D. R. Bateman, The Field.

Slim is one of the greatest commanders to serve in HM Armed Forces, and this is apparent throughout the book. However, it is not a vanity project. Slim freely admits his mistakes and failings, and makes a point of recognising the contributions of those around him. The story is gripping at all times and full of tension and excitement. The descriptions of the battles as they develop hold ones attention throughout. I highly recommend this book. Thank you to those site users who recommended it to me.

Just thought I’d post to bring this back to the top, given its relevance to the topics that have come up elsewhere on this site.

This book describes how the British and Indian Armies, aided at times by Chinese and American units and formations, brought about the total defeat of the Japanese in Burma, and were in an excellent position to exploit their successes to bring about the destruction of the Japanese in the South-East Asian theatre. That exploitation was rendered unnecessary by the Japanese surrender. The Japanese General (name to follow when my copy of this book is returned to me) surrendered his sword to Field Marshal Slim in front of his own troops, symbolising that his armies were defeated by force of arms on the field of battle, in order to stop another ‘stab in the back’ mythology creeping back, this time about the Japanese defeat.

All in all, an impressive reversal of fortunes, due to the training and fighting spirit of the men of those Armies and Air Forces participating, as well as the outstanding Commander.

He also understood the importance of the little man in his operations. Not sure if it is in D into V but he tells of a speech to Indian pioneers telling them how important their work is to the greater victory.

Slim, Master of War

by Robert Lyman
Constable, pounds 25, 327 pp

A QUESTION. Which British general of the Second World War wrote in his memoirs about a battle he commanded: “I was, like other generals before me, saved from the consequences of my mistakes by the resourcefulness of my subordinate commanders and the stubborn valour of my troops”?

edited to add quotes

I believe that is covered in Defeat into Victory. From memory, it refers to the initial failure of his plan to draw the Japanese into a first decisive battle in the Kohima area*. The rapid response of his subordinate commanders and the determination and ability of his troops in theater enabled the plan to succeed despite Japanese success in an unexpected quarter.

*I may be wrong about the area, but I’m fairly sure it was the first of the two decisive battles he drew the Japanese into.

Sorry now that I have re-read what I posted I see that I have miss lead you. :oops: Every thing after the first para should be in quotes and I will amend.

When I was looking for a reference to my first para I came on this and thought it may interest you, as it is a book I have not seen before. The question was the first part of the critic’s write up not a quick quiz. :slight_smile:

Not a quiz? :smiley: D’oh! Well, I can be dense sometimes.

Dense like aluminium though, never approaching the density of certain ferrous things.

Now that is an idea, a quiz thread. I have my daughter’s horrible histories the woeful WW2. I will dip in for some facts.