Did anyone catch the Mythbusters?

Did anyone catch the mythbusters when they did the “Guns firing into the water test?” Would appear the with any rifle as long as your under water about a meter you are pretty safe from most weapons. Pistols are a bit different. Safe distance is about 1.5 meters. Even a 50 cal sniper rifle isnt going to get you. Looked to me that the mussle velocity was so high that when the bullet hit the water… it just couldnt take the sudden changes in stress and strain. Now these where at a 23 degree angle so the hydrodynamics are going to be a bit different than at 90. Would be interesting to know the approximate “deadly” depths of different guns at different angles.

Looks like i’ll have to take that underwater knife fighting course after all.

Now they need to take that and somehow apply it to body armor.

Maybe if Infantry Platoons advance to contact with the aid of scuba gear and a swimming pool large enough for all of them and supported on some kind of shoulder rest (that attaches to the webbing?).

How would they stop the water leaking out of the 300 gallon body armour! :lol:

Sudent Scaley, would you be after a genuine ex-SBS waterproof under water fighting knife, it would save me putting it on Ebay :lol:

Have you been fighting underwater again mate?

I dunno, what’s it’s range? you obviously couldn’t engage targets at 600m, as i would know from my extensive computer gaming experience, that SBS underwater fighting knives have a range of 100m :lol:

Dont forget the extra 10m underwater knife throwing bonus for completing each level.

I’ve seen many times the mythbusters,nice program if you are both curious and with a enough time! :smiley:

Army is already working on “liquid body armor”

http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,usa3_042104.00.html

i also heard that scientist is experimenting transparent metal, those metal would be at least 20 times stronger than any kind of metal of today’s, the first transparent metal should be made by year 2020.

and there is also an experiment about the spider web, where the spider web can be sketch a long length and not be broken, scientists are also looking to find a material that is simuliar to spider web and hope they can use it as body-armour

Thats very interesting as I recently saw a programme about this. Basically the fluid is just that for every day wear, but, as soon as a high speed impact occurs, whammo - hard as a hard thing.

Thats very interesting as I recently saw a programme about this. Basically the fluid is just that for every day wear, but, as soon as a high speed impact occurs, whammo - hard as a hard thing.[/quote]

Maybe they could use some high density emultion for body armor. For those that dont know - an emultion acts just like a liquid untill compressed. The more you compress it the tougher it is to get through. But im not so sure if that is exactly what is going on here. If you really want to shoot somebody in the water lower mussle velocity seems to be the best. Higher the velocity the bullets seem to come apart much easier.

So a liquid body armor would only be practical if it can take quite a few shots. Kinda suck if you get shot once and then there goes your armor but he asshole shooting you still has 19 bullets left in his 20 round clip. :shock: :twisted:

Even though I live down under i have seen that episode. It really makes life for the Navy SEALs easier eh!

Would that make it a “Non-Newtonian Fluid” (or whatever the term is) like custard which you can apparently walk on but sink into if you stop?

I think cornflour has that property.