Distinguished British war correspondent. - British Forces | Gallery

Distinguished British war correspondent.

Wynford Vaughan-Thomas at the microphone. Vaughan-Thomas joined the BBC in the 1930s following his graduation from Oxford University (Modern History). His early BBC work seems to have been concerned mainly with commentary on public events (he broadcast the Welsh-language commentary on the Coronation of King George VI, for example). He made his reputation, however, during WW2 as one of the BBC's most intrepid and stylish war correspondents. The highlight of a wartime career that was seldom less than exciting was a report made in an RAF Lancaster bomber during an actual bombing raid over Berlin, in the course of which said Lancaster came very close to being shot down. After the war, Vaughan-Thomas went on to build a succesful career as a journalist in print and in broadcasting, an author, and something of a professional wit. He died in Fishguard, in his beloved South Wales, in 1987. I am old enough to remember seeing interviews given by Wynford Vaughan-Thomas in his later years, on his wartime experiences and on many others in his long and varied life. He certainly had a way of telling a tale in an amusing way, and a number stick in my memory. There was the one about Dylan Thomas (no relation) and the poetry reading ... but more appropriate to this site was the one about his participation in Operation Dragoon, the Allied landings in the South of France in 1944. Wynford, along with a number of fellow war corrs., landed on a beach near St Tropez. As was often the case in "Dragoon", there was no opposition from the Germans at this point. As the journalists approached the sand dunes, they were initally alarmed to see movement among the dunes, only to be astonished by the appearance of its cause - a French waiter in "full dress", carrying a tray bearing several glasses and a bottle of champagne. Offering the champagne to the surprised correspondents, the Frenchman remarked (in what language I do not recall), "Welcome to France, gentlemen. Only, if I might offer a slight criticism, you are a few years later than we would have preferred ...". A formidable Welshman, happy wit, and humane man. We could really, do with more like him. Best regards, JR.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.ww2incolor.com/gallery/british-forces/47805/distinguished-british-war-correspondent.

JR, my utmost respect, you always manage to dig out some very interesting stories, often showing some less expected topics and you present them excellent. Really, great work! :slight_smile: