Does anyone recognize this place?

This image was posted on the photo side, with the question “what type of chamber is this?” To me it looks like a movie set, but it could be a Templar, or Teutonic Order ceremonial room. Or even something the Reich cooked up for some purpose of their own. No one in photos, has an answer, so I bring it to the August body of the Forums’ own League of Brigands.

93.jpg

Wewelsburg castle?

Or an SS training school?

In my humble opinion, it looks like a movie set. The statuary doesn’t look like what you see in pictures of German architecture from the 30’s and 40’s. Librarian posted some nice threads with German architecture a while back, that’s my reference…:slight_smile:

When I first saw the image, I had thought someone was playing a joke by posting a phoney pic, it reminds me of the opening scenes of Hellboy. It showed up on the photo side a couple days ago.

It looks real enough but considering what it is I would have thought giant pillars like that would have been more publicly known.
Did a fair bit of Goggling to find something but nothing came up, even thought of Iron Sky since they did some teaser promo’s before.

It was found on the picture site side.

Crypt of the ‘Monument to the Battle of the Nations’

At least we know its legitimate, I figured that it had something to do with the Knights of the Teutonic Order considering the Black Cross. The Templar Knights used a similar cross, but it was red.

Thanks Leccy, it’s a stunning monument.

Thanks for tracking that down.

I couldn’t find the picture on the wiki page but, thanks to your work, I’ve found what appears to be the caption to the original picture at #34 here http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/10/world-war-ii-the-fall-of-nazi-germany/100166/ along with some other very good WWII pictures.

A U.S. soldier stands in the middle of rubble in the Monument of the Battle of the Nations in Leipzig after they attacked the city on April 18, 1945. The huge monument commemorating the defeat of Napoleon in 1813 was one of the last strongholds in the city to surrender. One hundred and fifty SS fanatics with ammunition and foodstuffs stored in the structure to last three months dug themselves in and were determined to hold out as long as their supplies. American First Army artillery eventually blasted the SS troops into surrender. (Eric Schwab/AFP/Getty Images)

uT IS A MOVIE SET OF ONE VERY FAMOUS AND IDIOT MOVIE, THAT MOVE WHERE THE SODIER WITH ONE BULLET KILL 10 ENEMY ,I DO NOT REMEMBER THE TITLE BUT IT IS DONE IN ONE ISLAND THAT AT THE END BLOW UPP

Well if this particular picture is from a movie it is based on the real structure it would seem.

Interesting read!

Definitely the interior of the monument to the Battle of the Nations, and very real, however improbable it looks. I recall that we had a chat about this over on the 'photos side of this site some time ago. I must say that at first, I thought it might have been a movie set myself. Best regards, JR.

It looks to me like a composite of two or three photos.

That’s a beautiful monument, would love to visit it!

I agree with JR, it’s a picture of the Monument of the Battle of the Nations in Leipzig.

http://wodumedia.com/world-war-ii-the-fall-of-nazi-germany/a-u-s-soldier-stands-in-the-middle-of-rubble-in-the-monument-of-the-battle-of-the-nations-in-leipzig-after-they-attacked-the-city-on-april-18-1945-the-huge-monument-commemorating-the-defeat-of-napo/