Douglas MacArthur

New one from me… this is not entirely new, but I did make enough additions to this article (originally written a few months ago) that I thought I would share.

http://ww2db.com/person_bio.php?person_id=3

If you guys don’t want me to take up space with this kind of announcements about new articles on my site, just let me know! I won’t be offended :slight_smile:

nice page mate,thank you :wink:

I wouldnt stop giving the links, it not only raised awareness of your site, but also, gives us a chance to see some balanced objective writing when so many bland statements are just spouted here.

Getting back to the subject, he also wrote a lot, if not most of the Japanese constitution didnt he.

I wonder how the world would have looked today if he had been allowed to carry out his plans, including the use of the Nuclear option.

Yes sir, he sure did. His contributions to Japan also include the complete revamping of the economy (taking apart the zaibatsu-dominated system), demanding woman’s suffrage, and most importantly the assured continuance of the Japanese imperial system that is so much a part of Japan’s culture. MacArthur not only was a brave soldier and a good strategic commander, but he was also quite the statesman.

I know someones going to hate me for this but i think the US should have gave him nuke to bomb China in the Korean War. The Chinese did attack the UN forces and were kill Americans as well as British, French, etc. If we did we could have stopped most of the Cold War because Russia would have no allie and many countries like Vietnam would probly not have turned to Communism and in the long run would have saved more lives then it took. Trueman was just to much of a wuss to carry it though.

I have zero respect for Truman. I know I start this statement biased because I’ve always sided with MacArthur on his differences with Washington. However, Truman conducted himself very unlike a man of his stature. When he got quoted that “damn fool Congressmen crying like a bunch of women” after MacArthur’s emotional speech at the Senate, I don’t know how the American people still looked at this petty excuse of a president as their leader.

Do you advocate the post above yours though that he should have used nukes?

I suppose that may have led to the Soviets using their weapons on Chinas behalf? Not sure when Soviet nukes became operational though.

And no, its not a what if!

Before the end of the Korean War. Which is why Truman (with Churchill’s backing) told MacArthur not to be so bloody stupid.

I believe that it was Macarthur’s posturing and having a large amounts of troops on the Chinese border that the Chinese took exception to. It was arrogance on the part of Macarthur, a quality he had in buckets, which forced the Chinese to see his actions as hostile.

Should they have used nukes? No it is an escalation. The US had no plans to fight China and what would the next step be? What happens next time a country upsets the US? Also the US force were acting under UN mandate.

Remember

MAD

In 1932, during the heigth of the depression, McArthur led the US Army to attack the “Bonus Army” marchers in Washington DC.
The “Bonus Army” was a march of unemployed American WW1 veterans demanding that the US government should pay them a bonus promised to them by congress in WW1.

For McArthur, this was a communist plan to overthrow the American government under President Hoover, though intelligence sources stated that among the 26 leaders of the march were only3 communists, the rest included people like priests. Against Eisenhower’s recommendations, who was on McArthur’s staff, McArthur ordered a charge, which included 5 Renault FT17 tanks on the largely unarmed protestors. One of the unit commanders was a Major Patton.

"Army Chief of Staff MacArthur was convinced that the march was a communist conspiracy to undermine the government of the United States, and that “the movement was actually far deeper and more dangerous than an effort to secure funds from a nearly depleted federal treasury.” But that was simply not the case. MacArthur’s own General Staff intelligence division reported in June that only three of the twenty-six leaders of the Bonus March were communists. And the percentage within the rank and file was likely even smaller; several commanders reported to MacArthur that most of the men seemed to be vehemently anti-Communist, if anything. According to journalist and eyewitness Joseph C. Harsch, “This was not a revolutionary situation. This was a bunch of people in great distress wanting help… These were simply veterans from World War I who were out of luck, out of money, and wanted to get their bonus – and they needed the money at that moment.”

"Next came the most controversial moment in the whole affair – a moment that directly involved General MacArthur. Secretary of War Hurley twice sent orders to MacArthur indicating that the President, worried that the government reaction might look overly harsh, did not wish the Army to pursue the Bonus Marchers across the bridge into their main encampment on the other side of the Anacostia River. But MacArthur, according to his aide Dwight Eisenhower, “said he was too busy,” did not want to be “bothered by people coming down and pretending to bring orders,” and sent his men across the bridge anyway, after pausing several hours to allow as many people as possible to evacuate. A fire soon erupted in the camp. While it’s not clear which side started the blaze, the sight of the great fire became the signature image of the greatest unrest our nation’s capital has ever known. "

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/macarthur/peopleevents/pandeAMEX89.html

Other links:
http://www.felsted.essex.sch.uk/~jms/history/usa/partb/bonus.htm

“In 1930, MacArthur returned to the United States and was named by President Herbert Hoover as chief of staff of the Army. At age 50, he was promoted to the rank of full general at a time when America was staunchly isolationist and military figures like MacArthur played a small part in the nation’s activities. In 1932, MacArthur led a force of tanks, cavalry and infantry against a group of 15,000 unarmed World War I veterans who had camped in Washington to petition Congress for early payment of their service bonuses. In a violent clash precipitated by orders from MacArthur, the “Bonus Army” was dispersed. For many at that time, and for historians since, the harsh treatment of the “Bonus Army” has seemed to offer insight into the mind and character of Douglas MacArthur. MacArthur later justified his actions by improbably claiming that he had thwarted a “Communist revolution.””

From
http://korea50.army.mil/history/biographies/macarthur.shtml

Jan

Nice bio temujin :smiley:

I have the translation right under it! There are no desperate situations, only deperate people! Now please go back on topic :!:

I’m going to start deleting your useless posts, didn’t you see what I said when I closed your other thread? Usefull info only please. Now this is about Douglas MacArthur not Panzers and panzerfausts, so lets go back on topic now please! :!:

You’re not being cute, not in the least. Now really, lets talk about MacArthur before I have to close this thread too!

If you and WW2Genius would gain your posts with integerity, rather than talking about segma in a Douglas MacArthur thread. If you stop that, I’ll chill out. I’m just doing my job as mod. Back on topic! LAST WARNING :!: